• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Smudge and cruelty. A reason to lock your hutches well and neuter your bucks

emjrabbitwolf

Warren Scout
My beloved Black and Tan buck Smudge has been at the bridge nearly 10 years now, but I still think of him everyday.
He was hand raised by his breeder as his dam died in labour leaving 4 kits behind. The breeder was one of the nice ones who didn't give up on them, even my Smudge the runt with a white nose.
I recieved him at about 4 months old as a birthday gift, though his arrival had been arranged about a month below between my parents and his breeder who was a family friend. At the same time I recieved a beautiful solid hand made hutch from my Granda who's also passed on.
Smudge was a swet heart. The gentlest of entire bucks I've ever known. He'd sit on my head, come for cuddles, knew voice commands, and so easy to let free roam in the garden or home.

One day our garden was broken into. They didn;t take anything just trashed the place and attacked my rabbits. I have 3 at the time.
Fudge a tan doe was traumatised for the rest of her life though I never knew what happened to her.
Rag my fully tame wildie ran away but was found 2 days later at a friends.
Smudge, he had it worse of all. The :censored: took lit cigarettes to his genitals. There were cigarette butts in the cage which made me suspicious and I checked my beautiful boy all over, and found the raw circular marks on his testicals. It must have hurt, but none of us ever remember hearing a rabbit scream in the night and we know that sound sadly. My parents took him to the vets for antibiotics, but the damage was done. Smudge was supposed to become a breeding buck for me with Fudge and Rag. (Don't shout. I just love tans and never wanted more than a litter a year!)
After putting Smudge to both Rag and Fudge with neither gettin pregnant we figured he was totally sterile. He pretty much was. Fudge never got pregnant and Rag only twice, 1 for 2 consecutive years. This was with Smudge being allowed to run with them quite often, though his drive was greatly gone as well as viability ruined.
The damage never changed my lovely boy's nature, though I'd not blame him if it had. we reported it, but nothing ever came of it.
Lock up your bunnies well. Use the strongest mesh you can for their cages/runs. Never leave them alone to free range.
There are too many sick and twisted :censored: in this worl who take pleasure in causing people and animals suffering. Never think it wont be you, it could be and you'll never know why.

God my blood ran cold reading that, how totally sick. Poor Smudge. I'm so glad his personality wasn't altered but so sad for Fudge, she was probably traumatised by Smudge screaming.
Some people are just beyong belief.:(

Thats just sickening, poor buns, who the hell would do something like that and why? I just can't get my head round it whatsoever, there are some twisted individuals walking this earth and its worrying :(

I was getting some padlocks tonight for mine anyway but if i hadn't have been i 100% would be after reading this.

Words can't describe how awful that must have been. I do worry about my garden being broken into and my rabbits either taken or hurt, as you rightly say there are some sick people in this world.

Thanks for taking the time to write what happened, I'm sure anyone who reads this will review the security of their rabbits afterwards.

:shock: What an awful person, or people. There are some sad, angry people in this world. :(

That's truely sick, it's disgusting enough people will do such horrible things to their own animals, let alone go out and do it to someone elses :evil: Poor bunnies :(

Thank you all. It was a long time ago but its stayed with me. I'll never forget how scared, angry and upset I was because of it. I've no idea why I was targetted. A few people knew me as a weird bunny girl who took her rabbits for walks round the green (houses down 3 sides, with parking at bottom, so a little safe place).
After that there they were moved into a proper secure Rabbitry with locks everywhere.
Why I worry about having bunnies outside in the future, though I want to be able to do so...
Just be careful with your precious ones. Make sure they're always secure and safe. Microchips can be really useful! Controversial but collars can help with escaped bunnies too. My beloved Rag wouldn't have been found and returned, if my friend hadn't known about her, with her wild colour. (She turned up trying to get into my friend's rabbit run!)

If your bunnies are outside, get some good locks on the cages, and bolt the runs to the floor. Makes them fox and inappropriate people safe

Smudge trusted me and I let him and the two girls down. Feel so guilty inside, which might be why i'm over protective and such with Ben and Jeri, but having had this happen I know its real.
Some love their animals but cause unintentional pain, others just love making animals suffer. Educate the former and report the latter!

I hope I'm the one in a million on RU who will suffer this and no one else will ever have anythign remotely similar happen.

Back