• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some positive words!

gill2205

New Kit
Hi, my 2 bunnies (herbie and Alice) were bonded really well (took 7 days and they were then inseprable :love:) Alice got spayed last monday (4weeks after her arriving with us), but she had complications and was in and out of vet till fri pm with an overnight stay on thursday, each time she came home she went in a cage next to Herbie so they could still see/smell and 'communicate' with each other! Alice is now recovered and the vet has said she can now run around like normal, problem is Herbie is now being quite nasty, we introduced them again very slowly but he has turned into a horrible monster :(
Do u think there bond will return? I guess I just feel quite down hearted as they were so easy to bond the first time and all the stress with Alice and the vets has now gone and now Herbie is stressing me!!
Many Thanks Gill

Did Herbie not go with Alice to the vets? An overnight stay is indeed enough to break a bond i'm afraid, especially with vet smells added in to the mix. Plus, the bond may have been in early days and not fully established, although even well bonded rabbits can still break up with vet trips - it happens a lot sadly. My advice would be to rebond from scratch in neutral territory and take it from there. It does not mean that they won't bond again at all, they just need a little assistance again to get back on the right footing. :):wave:

He went originally but Alice was rather ill and on advice of vet needed to be kept alone as they needed her food intake and stools monitored. It's just sad as she puts her head down for a cuddle and he just gets cross! He licked her for ages yesterday and has gone funny. Thanks for ur reply

I'ld keep them in cages next to one another until they've both been in good health for 2 weeks and then I'ld go back to basics with intro in 100% neutral place and 24-7 monitoring.
Good luck, the fact she's submitting is fabulous, in a neutral place hopefully they will rebond xxxx

Back