• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hmmmmm, another bun or not?

CharlieBabbit

Warren Scout
You may have seen my recent posts of my new bunny set up....

P8210001.jpg

I keep looking at it and thinking it's awfully big for two bunnies, maybe I could put some more in there? I keep seeing these beautiful buns on the rescue posts, buns in need of a home and wondering if I could bond one or two with Charlie and Daisy.

But then I keep thinking 'why upset the applecart?'.

The bonding with Charlie and Daisy went soooo well and they are very 'loved up'. I'd hate to spoil that but.....

oh, what to do?? I love the idea of a trio or a group of four and there's plenty of space out there but I also don't want to ruin the relationship and calm life that my two have now.

A conundrum, huh?

were any of those created by adding a female to an existing male/female pair and how did it go during bonding?

Oose (F) jumped 4ft to get in beside Taffy (F) and Riley (M) and they bonded themselves over night while i was asleep :lol:

Willow (F) was bonded by myself, i just put her in a pen with Summer (F) and Giles (M) they had a few scraps, but i just let them get on with it.

Mojo (M) was bonded to Holly (F) and Frodo (M) by putting them together in a pen too, there was mild aggression to begin with, but they sorted their differences.

Hmmm, will need to think long and hard me thinks. My current girl, Daisy is not speyed yet, she will be done within the next month....if I did get another girl, do you think I should re-bond Daisy and Charlie post-op first or try for a three way bonding all at once?

Oose and Willow are not spayed yet either :)

Once Daisy has had her op, i would put her straight back in with Charlie so you dont break the bond, as long as he does not annoy her then they should not be seperated post op.

oh....I thought it was the 'done thing' to seperate them while she healed???? Charlie is not big on 'humping' so I did wonder if she would be ok. Don't want her getting hurt though x

oh....I thought it was the 'done thing' to seperate them while she healed???? Charlie is not big on 'humping' so I did wonder if she would be ok. Don't want her getting hurt though x

I wouldnt, if they are already bonded they would miss each other and you run the risk of losing the existing bond. I have had many rabbits have various operations (spays, eye removal, stitches to a nasty wound) and i have put them all straight back to their partners, i think it helps them recover.

I wouldnt, if they are already bonded they would miss each other and you run the risk of losing the existing bond. I have had many rabbits have various operations (spays, eye removal, stitches to a nasty wound) and i have put them all straight back to their partners, i think it helps them recover.

Absolutely agree with this. I'm convinced Tottis recuperation from his ops was helped by the tlc he received from his best buddies :love:

:wave: You should keep them together but remove anything that she could jump on or in while her wound heals i.e. boxes, tunnels etc. You may need to restrict their space a little too (as you don't want her charging about until she's recovered). Also, while she's having her op you might want to put Charlie inside or in another area so that he doesn't take over their usual space as 'his' while shes gone.

yes, I have been reading about your experience Grin and it has sent shudders through me to be honest! Good luck though, in for a penny, eh? xx

And thanks for the advice everyone on not seperating Charlie and daisy post-op. I can bring them back indoors while she is re-cuperating so no problem there. I have kept the sideboard as a hutch just for that, then it gets converted back to furniture :lol:

hey there

can i move in please? thats nicer than my house!! lol.

i have four does who live happily together without any real problem. When we introduced hetty into the younger ones we held our breath thinking that she would be horrible to them and omg she mothers them soemthing terrible. in fact we dont think jemimma our black otter french lop washes cos every ****** else does it for her!!

and get this. we were fuming the other week when beth our nethy x dutch was left out with Reg (6 month old continental thug!) and spot (4 year old dutch) by a friend but as she came near her due date, two of the others went up to her, lowered their head and offered her some of their fur for her nest. she just had to pluck it out herself.. hows that for love? hetty was pulling her rough fur out for the babies to help out mum last night and sat warming them up cooing in dulcet tones.

i love my girls and they are amazing together. do it!!! x x

I wouldn't tbh. You run the risk of upsetting the original bond. Unless you have somewhere to potentially house three or more separate rabbits.

Back