• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Granite's off to the vets ud gone :(

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Im not happy with him, so we are off to the vets this afternoon.

He is eating and drinking, but losing weight. As I have said on a thread somewhere I have moved him into the shed part of my kennel to keep a closer eye on him, it was a good idea, but I am totally not happy with what I am seeing.

He is hunched, breathing looks a bit heavy and I am sure I felt a growth this morning, but so hoping I am wrong on that account.

I have got the next available appointment at 2,45. Ill update you after that.

Im so worried, and hate myself for not noticing it before as he has had the hutch and run to himself and Ive let him get on with it.

Last edited:
Been to the vet who diagnosed doughy impaction. Been given pro fibre pellets, recovery and metoclop. He suggested over feeding veggies is the cause, but I only give one leae of greens everyso often.

Surely impaction means no eating and therefore stasis. But he is eating, just not the amount he should be. Go back for reassesment on Tuesday, so long as everything stays the same or improves.

Vet couldn't feel anything abnormal.

I thought you weren't supposed to give gut meds if it was true impaction, I'm probably wrong though. (Edited: Actually I am, I meant obstruction not impaction sorry) I'd imagine fluid is important so keep an eye on his drinking.

Has he been given any pain relief?

Hope he's feeling better soon.

Last edited:
I thought you weren't supposed to give gut meds if it was true impaction, I'm probably wrong though. (Edited: Actually I am, I meant obstruction not impaction sorry) I'd imagine fluid is important so keep an eye on his drinking.

Has he been given any pain relief?

Hope he's feeling better soon.

See I thought If a bun was eating ( even just a little bit) then its not stasis, which I thought was what impaction was. :?

No pain relief, but I do have some here.

It could be that his gut is slowing down rather than stopped completly, ie he's going into statis so you are treating now to try to avoid it becoming more serious.

What's his teeth like?

Are his poops healthy, good size?

teeth are good, poops could be better

Weighing 166, wonder if that means 1660g, I wanted him weighing to see if there is any improvement when I go next week.

Ive been syringing him on and off since getting back, he feels very full now, so Im leaving him for the night. He is not a happy bunny though :)

Just a quick update on Granite.

I have him on gut stim and pain relief, and he is eating recovery food mixed in with pellets, by himself. He is out on the grass and is nibbling that. His poops are substantially improved, although not like the other buns, due to still not eating hay.

If I was in any other thought mode I would think its his teeth. But he had a good exam at the vets. And dispite the pain relief he still looks uncomfortable.

Sorry to hear Granite still isn't 100%.

I have no advice I'm afraid but just wanted to send vibes.x.

What about an xray? Perhaps its his roots rather than his actual teeth. A vet couldn't see that by looking alone, they'd need an xray.

What about an xray? Perhaps its his roots rather than his actual teeth. A vet couldn't see that by looking alone, they'd need an xray.

You do tend to be able to feel them through the jaw line though.

I get the feeling its something more internal, I don't know I can't put my finge on it. Im going to keep going with the feeding and see if the weight stops on. O hand seeing the vet on Tuesday

Back