• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

collars on rabbits

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
I dont get it, I see no use for a collar on a rabbit apart from 'making my bunny look cute'. :roll:

To rescues, would you allow one of your buns to go to a new home that had suitable accommodation etc BUT the new owner put a collar on the bun?

I just dont see the appeal of it, buns have such delicate little necks. :(

I think it would be dangerous tbh, they'd end up catching it on something and strangling themselves probably. Collars on animals are purely for attaching I.D to to show they are pets in cats and for dogs for attaching ID and leads to IMO.

I think it would be dangerous tbh, they'd end up catching it on something and strangling themselves probably. Collars on animals are purely for attaching I.D to to show they are pets in cats and for dogs for attaching ID and leads to IMO.

Exactly! It must be so restricting & uncomfortable for the buns. :cry:

It's wrong, it's immoral.

It's a rabbit - not a god damn dog or cat!

:cry:

Anyone who does it, needs their head seeing to, as it would NEVER be for the rabbits benefit.

It's wrong, it's immoral.

It's a rabbit - not a god damn dog or cat!

:cry:

Anyone who does it, needs their head seeing to, as it would NEVER be for the rabbits benefit.

My thoughts exactly, anyone who puts a collar on a rabbit is not a responsible owner.

I will admit I put one on Bunsk once.

He hated it, so I took it off... pretty quickly!

That was before I knew as much as I do now, and I do not agree with collars on rabbits. They are far too fragile and nervous animals.

eh? who has a collar on a rabbit?!! sounds pretty dangerous to me and totally pointless.

yup, very dangerous! My buns love to climb, they'd end up strangling themselves!

I just hope anyone considering it reads this thread & decides against it.

yup, very dangerous! My buns love to climb, they'd end up strangling themselves!

I just hope anyone considering it reads this thread & decides against it.

Me too...

I feel stupid ever trying it, even though it was for like... an hour or so. :(

Definatly not, i dont particularly like having a collar on my cat either, but she needs it until i can get her previous owner to change her microchip details :roll:

i thought about doing it but never got around to trying it but now that i think about its pretty stupid and would probably just be a waste of money.

i did however try a harness on scooter when he was younger the idea was so that i cud get him out more because my mom was very strict about letting him out on his own or even supervised at the time. but he never took to it since then ive tried it once more on him to see how he wud take it after being neutered but he still didnt take to it and ive never tried it again since. just doesnt seem worth it to me.

A few years back I had 8 identical baby rabbits and I put different coloured cat collars on them so I could tell them apart. They ate them.
Nowadays, if I need to ID rabbits, I microchip them. Much safer.

Me too...

I feel stupid ever trying it, even though it was for like... an hour or so. :(

Chul, yes it was a daft idea but you soon realised your mistake. Its all about learning & listening to others! :thumb: You are an ace bunny mum!

i thought about doing it but never got around to trying it but now that i think about its pretty stupid and would probably just be a waste of money.

i did however try a harness on scooter when he was younger the idea was so that i cud get him out more because my mom was very strict about letting him out on his own or even supervised at the time. but he never took to it since then ive tried it once more on him to see how he wud take it after being neutered but he still didnt take to it and ive never tried it again since. just doesnt seem worth it to me.

Im glad you have decided against it, use the money you wouldve spent on a pointless collar & spend it on a nice treat for scooter. :)

Chul, yes it was a daft idea but you soon realised your mistake. Its all about learning & listening to others! :thumb: You are an ace bunny mum!

I didn't even need to listen to others after he tried to chew it off his own neck :shock:

I would hope a rescue wouldn't rehome if they knew a collar would be put on.

Im glad you have decided against it, use the money you wouldve spent on a pointless collar & spend it on a nice treat for scooter. :)

i dont think there would be any point in putting a collar on a rabbit any ways because if they didnt get it stuck on something and strangel themselves then they wud just try and chew it off so it wud end up being a waste of money with scooter hes more than likely to chew it off when ever he see the harness laying on the floor now he just attacks it lol.

It's pointless really. I know some people are against harnesses but at least sometimes they do benefit bunnies because it's how some are exercised. With collars though, there's not really any benefits and i don't imagine them to be comfortable?

I am entirely playing devil's advocate here as I have not and do not intend to put a collar on my buns as it would serve no purpose at all but....

Why so anti? Cats wear collars all the time and they climb, explore, squeeze into all sorts of nooks and crannies....I can't see how a cat is any less likely to get caught up than a rabbit. They actually have far more opportunity to get snagged than the average bun, just based on their wider variety of encounters in their habitat. If a rabbit got used to a collar as a baby and wore one continuously, they would not be distressed by it. The only thing I have seen so far that would be a major issue would be the inclination for their bunny companion to chew it....but that would just make it a practical issue not a moral issue.

I just wondered why there is such a vehement reaction to this, especially the 'immoral' comment? I have four cats, none of which wear collars as they are indoor cats and are all microchipped but if they were outdoor cats, they would have collars for ID purposes, just to make it quicker to relocate them if lost or, god forbid, injured or killed on the road. My choice for them to go collarless is mainly an aesthetic one....I think they look much nicer without collars and the microchip will do the job in the unlikley event of them getting out of the house and getting lost.

I can understand people saying a collar on a rabbit would look wrong or is unnecessary due to the unlikelihood of needing it for ID but cannot quite get my head round the 'it's terribly dangerous or immoral' points?

Don't jump on me, this is a curiosity, not a criticism of any kind but I am interested in the 'back up' for your opinions xxx :D

Back