• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with narrowing of stomach

nicki

Warren Scout
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

After repeated episodes of chronic pain and GI Stasis treated at home/vet by metaclopramide, ranitadine and syringe feeding my beautiful bunny Alice had surgery as a last resort. It was found that the outlet of her stomach to her small intestines is very fibrous and thick leading to gut constriction.

If she makes it through the next few days, I have been told the only possible treatment is the use of steroids to reduce the inflammation but there is nothing else they can do.

I am glad that I know what has caused the problems that she has had but I think her prognosis is poor.

She has a very close bonded companion Oliver and am worried about him too.

Im so sorry to hear about Alice.I havent had a bun with this problem but have had a bun who had abdominal surgery due to an abscess,he didnt live for very long,about six weeks,as the abscess came back and the scaring from the operation stoped food going through.I think Jacks-Jane on her has a bunny with a similar problem,it may be worth talking to her.
I really hope your beautiful girl pulls through and some one else with more experience can help you xxxxxx

i'm sorry to hear that alice is poorly.

i'm afraid i have no experience with gut constriction on the treatment of it. is oliver with her at the vets?xx

Bunny with gut constriction

Yes, Oliver is with Alice at the vets.

Her recovery is actually going well this morning and she is drinking and taking electrolytes well.
However, I think the chances of managing the chronic pain this gut constriction must be causing are not good but at least we have given her every chance.
She is such a lovely bun!

I realise I have submitted my post on the wrong forum but it is my first go!

Yes, Oliver is with Alice at the vets.

Her recovery is actually going well this morning and she is drinking and taking electrolytes well.
However, I think the chances of managing the chronic pain this gut constriction must be causing are not good but at least we have given her every chance.
She is such a lovely bun!

I realise I have submitted my post on the wrong forum but it is my first go!

don't worry about where you submitted it - i know how my head gets when i have a poorly bun! i hope she continues to improve xx

Don't worry about where it is. I've reported it for the mods so they can move it if they want. :)

I'm afraid I can't help as I have no knowledge on this but hopefully moving it might mean more people see it.

I've moved this to the right place for you in the hope you will get some more useful replies. :wave:

Back