• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

LoopyLou2087

Warren Scout
I have two dwarf lops, they're both girls from the same litter, and when they're old enough I'm going to get them neutered. I was just wondering whether I should get them done at the same time, or lave a few weeks in between. Advice anyone?

I have two dwarf lops, they're both girls from the same litter, and when they're old enough I'm going to get them neutered. I was just wondering whether I should get them done at the same time, or lave a few weeks in between. Advice anyone?

I think together would be best. If one is done first she will be a bit under teh weather while she recovers and her sister might still want to play. If they're done together they can have bed rest at the same time and look after each other.

From your point of view though, things could happen like they might stop eating and then you'd have twice as much work to do syringe feeding, but that is a very small possibility.

I would try to get them done together. You might have to separate earlier than that though if they start fighting.

That's definitely not a reliable guide as to whether or not they will fight. Only personality and hormones depicts whether or not they will fight, not if they are from the same litter.

Hopefully you'll be ok but, it's important to be aware just in case, that there is a risk they will fight when their hormones arrive.

i am in same situation and have my fingers crossed that mine will not fight beforehand, mine girls are now 11 weeks roughly so keepin a close eye on them, i plan on taking mine in the same time like i did my two boys make sure you ask the vet to put them in the same recovery pen after their ops and bring them home in same carrier etc it all helps i am told it did with my boys they never lost their bond before during or after i think its all about catching the hormones before but if they come before they can be spayed we are in trouble i think:roll: fingers crossed we both have an easy ride with this one how old are your two buns hun x:wave:

They're 12 weeks now, so I still have 3 months to wait before I can get them done I think? But I like to plan ahead :D

Could be a LOT longer than 3 months - it depends on the vet - some won't spay (female version of neuter) until ~5-6 months.

ETA: are you 110% sure they are both female?

No I'm not, am taking them to the vets asap to be sure, but I have no transport in the week, so I have to wait until the weekend. Hopefully they are definitely both girls!

Back