• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Antibiotic help (can't remember the name the vet gave me)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I was speaking to my vet today about treatment for Grim's snuffles and if his current treatment doesn't work she is going to give me an antibiotic to nebulise. But I can't remember what she said the antibiotic was called. And I wanted to ask everyone what experiences they'd had with it.

It began with an 'm'. I looked on Google and I found one called metronidazole. Could it be that? Any ideas? :wave:

Don't think it was that one. It's really annoying I repeated it my head about five times and then promptly forgot. :lol:

I think I'll have to ring up tomorrow.

I meant to suggest on your other thread about Grim that you might like to talk to your vet about using metronidazole together with Baytril. Pasteurella.spp can be both aerobic and anaerobic gram-negative bacteria. Baytril is generally all right with aerobic gram negative and gram positive bacteria but shows little if any efficacy against anaerobic bacteria. Metronidazole (Flagyl) has good efficacy against anaerobic, so much so that it is usually the first choice to treat brain abscesses in humans. My vet will regularly prescribe a combination of Baytril and Flagyl to broaden the spectrum when the specific bacterium is not readily known.

If it is metronidazole your vet is suggesting to nebulise it may well be to attack anaerobic bacteria in the nose.

Good luck with treating the lovely Grim and keeping him comfortable.:love:

I meant to suggest on your other thread about Grim that you might like to talk to your vet about using metronidazole together with Baytril. Pasteurella.spp can be both aerobic and anaerobic gram-negative bacteria. Baytril is generally all right with aerobic gram negative and gram positive bacteria but shows little if any efficacy against anaerobic bacteria. Metronidazole (Flagyl) has good efficacy against anaerobic, so much so that it is usually the first choice to treat brain abscesses in humans. My vet will regularly prescribe a combination of Baytril and Flagyl to broaden the spectrum when the specific bacterium is not readily known.

If it is metronidazole your vet is suggesting to nebulise it may well be to attack anaerobic bacteria in the nose.

Good luck with treating the lovely Grim and keeping him comfortable.:love:

Oooh, thank you! :)
The only thing she and my other vet were worried about was any getting into his stomach. Most of it he breathes in will go into the nasal passages and lungs but she said it's a possibility it might get into his stomach and cause problems. She said as I'm a responsible owner she trusts me to keep an eye on his poos and everything else and to stop it and let them know if there are any problems. Which made me a bit chuffed. :)

I can understand the vet's hesitation. Unfortunately most antibiotics given orally or nebulised carry a certain level of risk in that they aren't discriminatory and will damage good gut flora at the same time as the offending bacteria. I always used Flagyl orally in a suspension but have not ever had to give it long term, minimising some of the risk, but as you say checking the faeces becomes a ritual when you have buns.:lol:

I wouldn't have thought that metronidazole would be nebuliser - I could be wrong though! It is ineffective against pasteurella but worked very well on santas sniffles because hers was tooth root overgrowth so lots of anaerobes on the bone. By definition, any bacteria lining the respiratory tract where nebulised meds will reach will be oxygenated so more likely to be aerobic bacteria there, so metronidazole wouldn't be suitable - it's also normally given orally so I don't think it's one your vet would be particularly worried about any of it being ingested. I've given met. long term with no problems, in fact it's probably one of the safest as it kills clostridia which is the fatal bug which can overgrow due to other antibiotic therapy!

Back