• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny babies in with other does

meandmedog

Alpha Buck
im hoping i might get a quick response.

my does all live together and are like a little family.

beth my nethy x dutch has given birth and we dont know wheter to seperate her. we did try but she became quite distressed. tonight we have put her on her own again as one of the big french lops was bugging her. our other dutch, the mother of the group, has forced her way through the hatch and beth and her are now snuggled up together. hetty has been into the babies and covered them with her own hair and warmed them up!! what do i do, leave them to it or seperate them which will stress beth.

when she was nesting the other does lower their heads in front of her and let her pull their hair out for the nest. they are sooo sweet x

I don't really have experience but splitting rabbits up can really stress them and if she's stressed she might not feed the kits. I would be inclined to leave them but watch them very carefully to make sure the other doe isn't bullying the kits.

This is just my opinion though. :wave:

I too don't have experience with babies but I think you run the risk of the other does damaging the babies. Are you sure which doe is the mother though?

Also so you know, this forum is linked to a rescue site so many members of the forum don't agree with breeding due to the very high numbers of rabbits in rescues :) therefore, you may not get that many replies as we simply don't have experience of breeding.

Last edited:
I don't think it's advised - but when my free ad buns had a surprise litter, I didn't know which bun was mum so had to leave them together. Only one baby died, but I was very lucky

errrm surely you should be seperating each doe if theyre not all spayed?
does are very hormonal id not risk it they may be getting on now, but hse may attack any other buns:(

Back