• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new mommy living with other does

meandmedog

Alpha Buck
We have lots of pets and have recently found out our dutchxnethy was pregnant :censored::censored: thanks for looking after them friend!! lol

we were worried to death as one of the potential fathers is our continental rabbit. anyway she gave birth and four are alive, three were dead (not sure if they were born at seperate times??).

She lives very happily with three other does and when we tried to seperate her before she gave birth she became visibly distressed. We left them to it but today she has a bit of a go at one of the other rabbits. nothing major but we seperated her in the top part of the hutch. an older dutch has forced her way into the hutch with mom and seems very very welcomed by her. hetty (the dutch) has started pulling out her own fur to cover them and has sat on them as well. What do i do? leave the other rabbit in with her? she seems alot more reassured when she is there and hasnt ignored the babies either. or should i take hetty out so that beth (mum) can get on with it herself even tho it stresses her out??

the bunch of them are real treasures and seem to act like a little family. hetty is the protective mom, beth second in command and my two young docile french lops behave like children. in fact i dont think one washes as everyone else does it for her!! while beth was nesting i saw two of my does go up to her and lower their heads so that beth could help herself to their fur for her nest!! its soo lovely and i just want to do what is best for her and the kits.

any advice would be really useful

Back