• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do white rabbits wash more?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Joking apart, should I be worried about the amount of time Spenser spends washing? I have seen him spend at least 5 minutes on one back foot alone. When you think of the posture required, it must be exhausting! :shock:

Are you saying my black bunny is a scruff? :evil: :lol::lol:

I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't have thought so. Do check that he isn't over grooming a particular area and taking the fur off, though. 5 minutes sounds a long time on one specific area. My buns might wash for 3 mins in total? (neither is White though!).

I think Spenser has OCD!!:shock: Sox used to groom himself a lot and he's not white (never has groomed for as long as spenser I don't think!:lol:), but now he doesn't as much, I think it might be because Jazzy grooms him a lot when their in the run together? Typical, give him a lady-friend and he starts getting lazy and letting her do all the work :roll::lol:

Beilidh's white (but with brown too, so don't know if he counts?) and I hardly ever see him wash!

ETA- Just realised how totally useless that post is! :lol: I don't know the answer, sorry!

Last edited:
Buckley spends a long time washing his legs. He gets right up between his toes. It's so cute to watch. Sometimes when he's got his face between his toes it looks like he's about to topple over :lol:

Buckley probably spends 20 minutes just grooming and preening a day but there's no fur loss, no skin irritation, the vet says his coat and skin are absolutely fine etc. He's just a very vain bunny :lol:

Maybe Spenser and Buckley groom so much because they're both single and like to look their best for any potential ladybuns that may cross their paths **wiggly eyebrows** :lol:

Mine are black so the dirt does not show as much :lol:

They spend a fair amount of time licking both themselves and each other

Toby and orinoco are currently washing (seperately) and have been doing so for the past 40minutes. Vain these fluffy white buns!

Haha. My Lola (black) spends twice as long grooming herself every day compared to Daisy (white) so maybe it's just a preference thing! Or indeed, bunny vanity!

Smudge seems to spend a long time grooming, he's quite white as well. He does spend a lot of time grooming Nutmeg and did with Mini and Mischa when I was bonding the quad. He was my little peacemaker going round grooming everyone. :love:

I think the grooming is independent of vanity......
I have a very well matched newly bonded pair.
Both have a touch of OCD.
They have 2 trays that are 3ft by 1 foot in a 5x8ft shed yet the BOTH pee in a 4" square area and both spend ages grooming.
She's a middle aged black and white bunny who gets quite aggitated if she has a stress induced grotty botty. He's a toung and massive grey harlequin....he does inbetween his toes....top of his foot...bottom of his foot.....side of foot.....other side of foot......ankle....up the leg and hind quarter....then he does the other side!!!!! Oh my goodness.....how very particular he is.....Don't even start me on his ears, face, chest.....
I think some bunnies are VERY particular about being clean and some just aren't that fussed!!!!!
Fab thread though!!!! :D

Back