• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

post your first

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
post piccies of your first ever rabbit

(breed, colour, age lived till if at the bridge, name, sex

Thumper (doe - unspeyed, rescued) estimated 9-13yrs when went to bridge, agouti french lop

thumper.jpg

180859_1861483620598_1346175338_2160476_3627918_n.jpg

Honey and Treacle, orange and black Netherland Dwarfs, sisters and both 4 when went to bridge. Both were unspayed so when Treacle died I wanted to get a husbun for Honey, so got her done, but she died a few weeks after from complictions with the surgery :(

I haven't got a picture as they are all at my mums, I got her for my 8th birthday her name was Flopsy and she was a sandy coloured lop. She died at 6 years old (unspeyed, unvacc'd etc etc) still haunts me now but she did have a lovely hutch that my dads friend built so im grateful for that!
I remember the day she died really well :cry::cry:

No pics as it was 30 years ago. They were huge white rabbits (2) and we only had them for about 2 years - ate everything in sight, no jabs, nothing. Rabbit ownership back then was pretty much in its infancy so everyone, even vets, were naive about their care. They were loved to bits though. Skippy and Snowy, both girls (I think) and identical. So much so that Dad dabbed a bit of green paint behind the one's ears so we could tell them apart! :lol:

However, these are our current buns

DSCI0169.jpg

Coco and Thumper (Thumps is on the bottom)

Blackberry- the first ever pic I took of him to show my mum - I had him and the others home by the next day :lol:

Blackberryco010.jpg

Butters, Dan, Clo & Blackie a few days after I got them home:

bunniesaugust2009057.jpg

I don't have any photo's but my first ever bun was a black dwarf lop called "Buster". I got him from Pets At Home when I was 19, around 12 years ago :shock: and he despised being picked up and was quite nervous.
He was neutered as I went to a Rabbit "Rescue" to find a friend for him. It was a woman who had lots of tiny cages and hutches in her house and garden and we felt sorry for the buns and ended up coming home with "babs". She couldn't eat and was petrified. Vet trip and tooth burring/removal later she came back home. I think she had some sort of undershot jaw or something as she was very odd looking in the head/face area.

Again, I don't have pictures :(
But she was called Rosemary and was a black, uppy eared pet shop bun. Lived out side in a double tier hutch - was fairly big, even I could lay in it. She was a very sweet bun, used to eat every wire and skirting board available! :roll: Used to drive me and mum made but oh how we loved her. :love:
She got taken by a fox, I think she was only about a year old if that. :cry: My mum heard the screaming and came down stairs in the middle of the night to find nothing but a hole in the hutch and a blood trail. I couldn't bare to have another rabbit for almost 5 years after her.

My first bunny was a dutch doe called Benji. :) Except at first I thought Benji was a boy... not because I'd checked (or had any idea what to look for...) but because she 'looked' like a boy. Seriously. She was the most patient bunny ever and put up with all my attempts to improve my rabbit care very well. I sort of semi-bonded her with another doe -- they were both not neutered! -- and they lived separately in their own hutches but were put in the same run. They never had even one scuffle.

She died due to teeth related problems I think... She was never a big bunny or a very strong one and she had a few episodes of not eating due to her teeth needing sorting. :( The roots pressed against the tear duct on her left eye and she often had white goo around it - and I knew no better when the vets insisted on flushing it. I think in the end her little body sort of wore itself out. She was four or five.

My first rabbit was Miffy. I got him from a friend from uni who didn't want him any more...

Miffy2b.jpg

I found him a girlfriend at the RSPCA, Binky...

Binky4b.jpg

:love:

I dont have a picture on my laptop (12 years ago pre digital camera) he was a black dutch called Simba :love:

I kept him with a guinea pig called Rhama (for about 2 days until they fought and i split them up)

He died of what i know now to have been status, at the time the vet told me it was a hairball and gave me liquid parrafin to clear it :cry: thinking back, the signs were obvious, but i, and the vet, didnt know any better.

My Teddy, first picture of him, just after I got him at 12 weeks old:

28jun09.jpg

He now has a lady wife, Toffee (both neutered)

He's a bit mental :lol:

Tigerlily, lop, now 3 years old:
SAM_1628.jpg

Officially our first, I chose her first and then we got Rolo, lionlop, at the same time:
Rolo.jpg

Again no pics but I had a stunning orange boy, who was bought as a girl, when I was a kid, called Sandy. I absolutely adored him and he lived to about five. He was in a horribly small hutch though he had a nice big run that he shared with our ducks and geese with no problems.

My sister had a little girl bunny, called Suzie, bought at the same time but as Sandy turned out to be a male, the inevitable happened. The litter were still born and poor Suzie died a few days after.

It makes me shudder to think how irresponsible my parents were about the whole thing but that was typical of the time. I was six when I got Sandy and actually was a very devoted bunny mum even then but he had the wrong diet, too small a hutch, should never have been in with the ducks and geese as he used to get very mucky feet....god knows how he didn't get flystrike or stomach issues from washing off poultry poo!!!

My parents never checked on the bunnies so when my sister found the baby ones and said there were rats in the cage (she was only five) my step-dad went up there and removed them and it was me, at six years old, that pointed out that they were baby bunnies, not rats! Then when Suzie wasn't eating or drinking, mum 'gave her a couple of days to recover' but then took her to the vets, by which time it was too late and she died that night.

So sad :cry:

Sandy spent the rest of his days being loved to bits by me and died of natural causes as far as I know....there were no signs of illness, he just went one night, peacefully in his sleep. I was heartbroken.

My next bunny was not until I was all grown up and married....Toby, a beautiful agouti Dwarf Lop, very similar to Charlie is now. We got him a wifey when he was six months old, called Winter. They are both over the bridge now, Winter went at six years, Toby at eight. We tried to bond him with another girlie but he was true to Winter and didn't accept another girl so he just stayed as a single house bun until he died, though he loved the company of our Bengal cats....

photos17thDec2005127.jpg

Easy for me cos my Kermit was my first bunny. Lived to nearly 2years, taken way too soon :(
Here he is when i first got him...
P1061018.jpg

No digital pics but Cleo was my first bun. She was an Old English Nethie Drawf cross and was almost entirely white with black eye liner and ears. She chose to be a housebunny one summer when the french windows were open.

She lived to be 8 or so but suffered several health problems. We had her vaccinated but were only advised to have her spayed once she had already contracted uterine cancer aged 3. She pulled through the op well but broke her jaw aged about 6, poor soul had to have her front teeth removed so I used to chop up all her food. Eventually she became arthritic but still used to binky and sleep in front of the fire. Such a happy, friendly and brave girl who I still miss. She would sit on your lap for hours and lick your arm until it got sore! When my dad had cancer and a big op on his stomach she would lie across his belly and keep him warm.

my first bun was Smokey, he was actually a birthday present from my nana & Granda for my 17th :love:, he will be 4 this year :wave:, he lived on his own free range in my room for 2 years .. before I got Magic .. tried to breed .. yeah we all know how that turned out .. so got them both neutered .. but they wouldn't bond .. yeah it goes on from there :lol:, look at me now a group of 11 :love:

first day home with me
DSC00135.jpg

now
Smokey.jpg

Lopsie. Found by a main road in Manchester (Ringley Road for those who know it) and given to me for my 11th birthday. I had been asking for a rabbit for six years. He lived with me for eight years. He was a mini lop, unneutered and he was my best friend and first love. :love:

Lopsiesmellingchairs.jpg

Lopsieplayingwithmeandtheorangefeatherpen.jpg

Lopsielyingonthepatio.jpg

Lopsiecloseup.jpg

Lopsieaskingtogoinside.jpg

LopsieMeFirstphotoJun96.jpg

And his grave.

DSC03643.jpg

Back