• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in winter

Alicia

Mama Doe
What time of year do rabbits start growing thicker coats for winter? Should I wait until after they have thicker coats to start covering the hutch, and giving them extra bedding etc. so they're not too warm for them to get thicker fur? I'm really worried about my rabbits this winter, its supposed to be a really cold winter too, and I've never had rabbits in winter :( I was going to put extra straw and hay in the enclosed part of the hutch, buy some snugglesafes, and use fleece blankets and a shower curtain to cover the hutch. Does this all sound ok?

Try not to worry too much, they adapt very well to the temperature change :) I had snugglesafes, blankets, covers etc. and what did Sox do? Kicked down the hutch door and insisted on sitting outside in the snow..when it was at its heaviest :roll: he enjoys winter more than summer.

I think you have everything sorted, don't worry, they'll be fine :D

Bunnies can be hardier than we think! Mine were always outdoors for most if the winter, and were fine. We didn't have snuggle safes but we used to put extra hay in both the hutch and the run (in case they wanted to sit outside:roll:) and cover the hutches with bubble wrap and blankets.

As for when to do this, I'd just keep,an eye on here, people are pretty good with weather alerts!

Try not wo worry though. Xx

Last year one of mine nearly died in the snow so im paranoid! This year their hutch is going to have: Soft dog bed in bedroom with a snugglesafe, cat flap between the two rooms to reduce cold drafts, Hessian cover and Tarpaulin cover.

Should i feed them more pellets in the winter? and when should i start covering the hutch?

What size snugglesafe do you buy for the bed chamber of a hutch? They sell it in 3 sizes - general, cat and dog. ??

the general one (unsized) is the most expensive too.

d'you know, I can't find the blooming site I used now! :evil:

Last edited:
i had bunnies outside for yonks just give them plenty of bedding and you be surprised how hardy they are :D think of how piggies have to cope

I was going to get a small one (I don't know what the size is called by snugglesafe) but its been recommended to me for my guinea-pigs, so I was going to get a few of that size, but do you think I should get a bigger size? I can't move the hutch and run near the house, is it bad that they'd be in the middle of the garden? And if it snows, as long as its not too deep, can they still go in the run or not? Sorry for so many questions :)

I was going to get a small one (I don't know what the size is called by snugglesafe) but its been recommended to me for my guinea-pigs, so I was going to get a few of that size, but do you think I should get a bigger size? I can't move the hutch and run near the house, is it bad that they'd be in the middle of the garden? And if it snows, as long as its not too deep, can they still go in the run or not? Sorry for so many questions :)

i wouldnt let the piggies in the run in the snow at all and im not sure on rabbits but if u cover the run up it shouldnt get much snow in so they should be able to go out

If it snows, the buns should be fine in it, I've seen loads of pics on he:wave:re of buns enjoying it. :wave:

Just had a good look but can't find the website I was originally looking at which gave the 3 sizes! :evil:

However, the most common one appears to be the size of a dinner plate. Is that big enough for 2 Mini Rex bunnies do you think?

Just had a good look but can't find the website I was originally looking at which gave the 3 sizes! :evil:

However, the most common one appears to be the size of a dinner plate. Is that big enough for 2 Mini Rex bunnies do you think?

I need to know this as mine are mini rextoo!

What colours do you have?

Coco's brown with a paler coloured chest/tummy, whilst Thumper is also brown but with 4 white socks and a mottled chest/tummy. They're sisters and I'm working on they're almost, but not quite, 3 months old. What colours you got?

(Thumper's the bottom bunny on both pics)

DSCI0090.jpg

DSCI0169.jpg

Last edited:
Back