• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Hutch

LoopyLou2087

Warren Scout
My new hutch is almost done. I'm trying to decide on a finish for it, which will make it waterproof and make it look nice, as well as not being toxic to the bunnies if they take a chunk out of it. I'm thinking of wax at the minute, but I can't find any info anywhere about whether this could potentially be dangerous for the bunnies. It would need to be on the inside too to protect against water bottle spliiages/urine. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

A lot of people use the Cuprinol garden shades paints. I'm going to use these on my hutches too. You can get lots of lovely colours, and they are bunny safe paints. You can get them in homebase. I think Wilkos do their own version too, which are a bit cheaper :)

An alternative is hutch preserver, which is just a stain. I *think* the Happy Hutch company do this, and I think I might have seen some in pets at home too, but don't quote me on that!

If you want to keep it looking natural you could use a clear varnish. There is one called good for wood which is what the hutch makers Rydale use.

If you want to keep it looking natural you could use a clear varnish. There is one called good for wood which is what the hutch makers Rydale use.

:oops: I think that might have been the one I was thinking of too, as I just looked on the other hutch co sites and couldn't find the 'stain' I was thinking of at all. I think it must have been the Ryedale one I was thinking of, sorry :oops:

Last edited:
The good for wood one looks brilliant, but I can't find anywhere to buy it! I might try this one though

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11348545&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372013}/categories%3C{9372030}/categories%3C{9372124}/specificationsProductType=exterior_woodcare/specificationsSpecificProductType=woodstain

Just not sure if it's OK for use around the buns :?

Edit: That took a while but I finally got that link sorted!

Ryedale hutches sell good for wood

Back