• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you choose???? Well I've chosen... U/D p.7

*Red*

Mama Doe
This is probably a very silly post :oops: I just need to get this off my chest. For those of you who have rescued rabbits in the past, how on earth do you make the decision?!

Over the last couple of weeks I've been to see a few of Starlight's bunnies, took a road-trip to BARC, and stopped by Anna's to meet Evie over the weekend. I'm still due to stop by HoneyBunnies, but not even sure I can add more to the mix that I currently have going on in my head. It's heartbreaking quite honestly.

I think my problem is I'm letting their stories get to me. Evie's a classic example because I've spent all weekend trying to think of someone who may be able to have her if I don't, I almost feel responsible if she's left with Anna for a bit longer due to me saying no :( By the looks of threads on here, she's been homed once or twice but hasn't bonded so keeps going back. As for Chiff-Chaff and Chough.. they're 5 bless them and if I don't have them, who will?? But neither of those reasons are solid reasons to pick that specific rabbit(s) are they???

I don't want to be one of those people who has to take a bunny back to the rescue because s/he didn't settle at mine / wasn't happy / we didn't have that bond, which is why I want to be totally sure. However it's so so hard to really be sure when meeting them for a few minutes, especially when not all bunnies take to new people just like that (I understand you can't expect them to, especially in some cases depending on their backgrounds). It doesn't mean they WON'T take to you given time does it? People have said they choose you, but what if none of them choose me?! :shock: How can I tell they're not just approaching the hutch door because they like attention or are being nosey, and it might not be due to a 'connection' with me at all?! :(

Because s/he/they will be indoors, I really want a people-bunny (or bunnies) who will look forward to my company & cuddles when I'm home from work, who will want sofa time & attention, are happy to chill out on the rug while we watch a film!

I don't want a bunny-bunny who is just happy to be a bunny and be fed & cleared up after by me and left to their own thing. Part of me even wonders if I'm describing a dog when I say all that! :oops: I've had to leave my girl with my parents as I live in a flat and work all day, and would never separate her from my mum's dog. A happily single rabbit, or a pair, was the natural trail of thought since living on my own.

I can't be the only person who is in, or has been in this situation before, can I? :?

Urgh, somebody help me. Choose for me even! It'd be much appreciated.

And OMG I've just realised how much I've waffled there!!!! :oops:

Sarah xx

Last edited:
With my rescue buns I've always seen pics on here on on RR first and just known straight away, it's weird, my first one was a stunner with a great personality but had had no interest for over a year because she had to be a house bun, then I saw Debbie on here from HoneyBunnies and fell in love with her, plus she was a bit older so was perfect for my Wilm at the time.

If I went to a rescue to look round I would probably try and go for an overlooked bun x

There are so many bunnies in rescue its hard to choose isnt it. Well done for going for a rescue bun though.

With my buns I just felt a connection with them when I met them. I looked at hundreds of buns on RR when looking for Leo and Lila and then when I saw them I said to OH, I've found my bunnies.:love: I was so sure I wouldnt be able to get them but I was able to meet them a week later and then passed my home check and brought them home a week after that. It was meant to be.:love: With Molly I had been to see a few buns hoping to find a wifebun for Marble and as soon as I held Molly I felt a deep connection to her, like we really understood what each other needed. No other bun would do after that.
:love:

Keep looking and you WILL find your perfect bun.

I think this is where a good rescue is so important. They should know the bunnies inside out and be able to help you chose which bunny is your perfect match.

With my rescue buns I've always seen pics on here on on RR first and just known straight away, it's weird, my first one was a stunner with a great personality but had had no interest for over a year because she had to be a house bun, then I saw Debbie on here from HoneyBunnies and fell in love with her, plus she was a bit older so was perfect for my Wilm at the time.

If I went to a rescue to look round I would probably try and go for an overlooked bun x

Hello, thanks for your reply. See I've tried what you suggested.. and that hasn't worked! :shock: I ended up with a huuuuge 'shortlist'! :lol::roll:

I must admit, I have one or two who keep cropping up in my head, but I don't know if that's just because they look 'pretty' to me. And that's not really the right reason either is it? :oops::(

That's for your replies :)

@ BeatrixPotter, I've not had THAT connection with any yet, but I think maybe that's because I'm confusing myself perhaps? Every bunny I've met, I've known there's more to look at, or been remembering a previous bunny - maybe it's clouding my judgement...

Sometimes you have to rule with your head instead of your heart. Perhaps write down your 'checklist' and see which one of the buns fits the most.

I know that sounds terrible but if you are stuck as to who to adopt & who would be more relaxed in your home & with you, its a good tool to use.

I done this when I had to find Rodge a new partner, ofcourse I'd love to adopt them all but its not possible. xx

Yeh me too. As soon as I saw Mimi I knew she was "ours". Previous to picking Charlotte for Max myself and OH had reserved another bunny, but I didnt feel a huge connection to her. As soon as I saw the photo of Charlotte I knew she was "the one", for us and for Max.
Sorry thats not helpful atall is it!
Its always a risk when adopting a new bun, quite offen how they behave in rescue is totally different to how they are when theyre settled down and in their own territory.
For example at the rescue Charlotte was very shy, submissive and extremely easy to handle. A few months later shes well and truly settled in and is a right nosy little minx!
Speak to the rescue in question, if the bun has been there for some time they will know her personality quite well and hopefully beable to match you with one that is perfect for you :wave:

Hmm... i never chose any of my 3. The first was an ad "Free to a good home" - the second, the rescue was told a little of my rabbits temperament and matched him a wife (perfectly) and the last one was a friend of my daughters had outgrown her rabbit and wanted someone else to have her. So, you could say, they found us.

I must say, if i was going to get more, i would go to a rescue and ask for the most unrehomeable because i'm a sucker for the ones that need more loving :oops: It's awful to think of any animal in rescue and i really get upset for those that have been in rescue the longest or get overlooked because they are not the cutest to look at. :oops:

My rabbits all chose me; more through ill health and circumstances.

To add to the mix, at RSPCA Suffolk East we have some lovely bunnies, one of whom in particular springs to mind. I also have an indoor foster who is so lovely and a great indoor bunny. If none yet have seemed the right rabbit for you, maybe you might want to try meeting more bunnies?

I think you know the right bunnies for you, so if right now you haven't found then, then you haven't found the right ones, in my eyes. You could have seen ones you will be happy with, but not necessarily the right ones for you.

Don't be put off if you meet a bun that meets all your requirements but you don't feel an attachment straight away.

A rescue recommended Oddball to me as a perfect housebun, very clean litter wise & no front teeth, but I was more attracted to another more friendly bun but he was very very messy & chewed.

I was very torn but took the rescues advice & took Oddball home who was renamed Flynn & by the end of the 1st night I was totally in love with him & had no regrets regarding my choice. He was the most perfect darling boy.

Edited note: Just realised this is really long - it's not meant to be preachy so if it comes across as such I'm really really sorry, I'm just trying to share what I've found so far.

Here's my experiences of rescue buns:

1) Reason for bunny - friend for Adelle (my existing snuggle bun). Things I looked for a) personality - it had to be adelle's choice so I looked for a bunny I thought had the character traits she'd like to try and help make the bonding most successful as possible. b) out of the most suitable bunnies I checked ages - I didn't want Adelle to lose a friend really quickly c) I read the stories and worked out whether I could provide the type of home that bunny needed. In this instance Byron was a very nervous, but sweet little character, wasn't human snuggly (he wasn't going , was very similar age to Adelle (4-6 months older) and needed a quiet home without children (this was our set up).

2) Adopted a trio. I kept seeing their picture on rabbitrehome.org - and out of all of the bunnies I saw they kept pulling at my heart strings, and I couldn't forget them. This was the reason I chose them. Everything else has been about what they needed - I brought the set up that best suited what they would like to do, as per their characters, I've spent a lot of time slowly build up human trust with them, I accept if they don't ever want snuggles or nose rubs or anything that's there choice. I just wanted to give them a loving, caring, forever home and all of the love, kindness and joy they give me because they choose to is a huge bonus.

3) My 5th adoptee bunny. Unfortunately my trio's bonding has fallen apart - Hope the mum has decided she doesn't want Izzy (one of her sons) to be part of the group and has been pushing him away and starting to get violent. Therefore for Izzy's safety and happiness I've separated him and am looking for a wife. So my reasons are similar to situation 1) but will result in a very different type/character/situation of bunny options.

From what you have described for your situation here's what I would do if I was you:
a) look for bunnies where being indoor bunnies is a good choice for them i.e. litter trained, aren't hugely destructive etc. as this is more likely to cause problems for them and you - think about what space you have - if it's huge then you can have huge bunnies which lots of people can't
b) you said you want a bunny you can spend time with, so spend time with each of the bunnies you like in rescue, don't just look through the cage, sit on the floor with them, see what they think of you, see how they react, take some nice healthy treats to encourage them to come up to you
c) Think about what you can provide for them that some people can't - could you take on an older bunny where you can't get health insurance any money but could have serious medical problems with huge bills. Do you have lots of space for larger bunnies? Are you really experienced with bunnies with existing conditions e.g. dental bunnies? Can you take on a pair of bunnies rather than a single bunny (Lots of existing bunny owners are able to adopt single bunnies to bond with an existing bunny - this makes pairs or trios etc. harder to find homes for).

I personally don't think you are selfish in finding the bunny that is right for you, and where you are right for the bunny. Every bunny in rescue needs a home and love, and if you cannot establish that bond between the two/three of you etc. then you will all be missing out on the most wonderful interaction with your bunnies. If you haven't found it yet keep looking, somewhere you'll find a bunny which you feel is right for you, even if they don't choose you and vice versa - but you build up the bond over time (like me and Byron - he was right for Adelle, he felt right to bring into our family and now we have a special relationship between me and him and I love him very very dearly).

If you still feel really sorry for the other bunnies still in rescue then think of ways for them to find the best home for them (which isn't with you). e.g. place links on your facebook account to help more people be aware of bunnies; help the rescue e.g. ask to volunteer, do fundraising etc. - This is what I'm currently trying to do, I ask try and help share my experiences on RU to help other bunny owners, as well as learning new things myself for my bunnies. Don't forget their perfect home could be just around the corner.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on which bunny/bunnies are lucky enough to become part of your family.

Last edited:
I must say, if i was going to get more, i would go to a rescue and ask for the most unrehomeable because i'm a sucker for the ones that need more loving :oops: It's awful to think of any animal in rescue and i really get upset for those that have been in rescue the longest or get overlooked because they are not the cutest to look at. :oops:

That's why I've looked at some of the ones I have. But as said, I've not felt a huge connection, I've not had this feeling that some of you have had for them being "the one/s".

.....But is that because of the surroundings, i.e. there being lots of other bunnies around and I've been so caught up viewing more than one, or because I haven't found the one for me. I know none of you can answer that really :oops::roll:

There are a couple that keep springing to mind, and I can't put my finger on why...

Sherlock, thanks for your post! I will respond, I'm just looking to head home from work shortly and want to write a decent reply x

There are a couple that keep springing to mind, and I can't put my finger on why...

They sound like the ones you should go to the rescue and ask to spend more time with. My trio just kept coming back to my mind and I wasn't even looking to adopt a trio - just 1 husbunny for Adelle. If they keep springing to mind that sounds like the start of a connection to me - can you provide them with what they will need and want. Do they provide what you are after (i.e. snuggly/company type bun)?

Last edited:
i contacted a rescue about a bunny i liked the look of but she was already reserved so i left it to the rescue and Alvin to pick who he wanted to live with.. i get no choice other than younger than 5 ( for insurance) and not a rex (housed on carpet).

so far both bunnies have been amazing and i couldn't of picked better :love:

I choose Gordon because he was the first rabbit I saw on here before I was a member and I thought what a sweetie and later I joined and found out he seemed the perfect match for Beano :love: In the future I'd like to adopt long term rabbits or disabled rabbits though, or agressive ones which would be more difficult to rehome. I actually enhoyed working with Beano to gain her trust when she was very agressive before her spay.

I choose Gordon because he was the first rabbit I saw on here before I was a member and I thought what a sweetie and later I joined and found out he seemed the perfect match for Beano :love: In the future I'd like to adopt long term rabbits or disabled rabbits though, or agressive ones which would be more difficult to rehome. I actually enhoyed working with Beano to gain her trust when she was very agressive before her spay.

Yes, i think we could re-home aggressive buns too - i have a set up where minimal handling is needed and we dont have small children.

But *Red*, the ones you keep thinking of - the ones that are there on your mind, maybe need another visit. It must be soooo hard to chose!! x

Sarah..my advice as you are so torn, is to put off any decsion for a couple of weeks. Then contact the rescues you have already been in contact with and ask them which of the ones playing on your mind are still there..the rescues may also suggest others. I do think you perhaps saw too many which makes the choice very hard.
Cross Chiff-chaff and Chough off the list as I know you didn't feel you bonded with them and they are quite safe and happy with us..they will get homes so no worried there:D

but as already said..take some time out and sit back for a while..:D

Back