• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

faecal pellets question

claire**

Warren Scout
Hi, just wondering if any of the very experienced members on here can help me.

My bun is nearly 16 weeks, and has unlimited hay, excel pellets, small amounts of fresh veg and herbs and occasional treats.

He is eating drinking and pooing normally. He just did a load of hard poos on he sofa! and when I cleared them up I noticed a few looked darker and felt wetter than the others. Generally they are able to he squished and broken in half to see the consistency inside, these ones squished more easily, and some liquid came out when i squashed them. then just squashed flatter rather than breaking in half. The are defo not caecals, they are the hard waste ones.

I just wondered if this is normal and ok, his poos do sometimes vary in size, did a couple of very big ones yday, and i have noticed that they do seem to have more of a smell than I can recall when i first got him, I dont know if this is becasue I have taken more notice of them and notice more subtle things that were there before anyway, or whether its the excel causing it, i plan to change as to ss when hes a bit older anyway.

Quite often the pellets feel slightly wet around them (i often pick them up as soon as they are passed) but they are always nice shaped and 'hard'.

Do I need to worry about the ones today? Could it just be something different he has eaten - he had a tiny bit or strawberry last night.

Thank you in advance for ur help

thanks, he has unlimited pellets because he is a baby. he doesnt eat them like mad though and is a good hay eater.

I have heard about excel causing problems and wondered if the slight smell to the poos is due to the excel, also the consistency. when ur buns poo are they rock hard or slightly soft eg will compress and then break, and do they have any moisture? i would say they are moist rather than wet, and the liquid only came out if these few odd ones when i squashed them a lot.

The trouble is the more I look carefully at tiny things, the more I notice any differences and then wonder how normal it is!! he is a perfectly healthy happy little bun.

Last edited:
he has had fresh mint and basil. hes had them for the past 2 weeks though, not every day, and not lots. also same with kale. its just today ive noticed these slightly different poos. among the usual poos though. I also get to see these very quickly after he does them as they were on the sofa!

Last edited:
Has he had any grass recently? Wetter things tend to make wetter poops, so after grass and fresh greens they will tend to be darker and more moist, after hay dryer and lighter.

Back