• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor buns - question after ramble!

Biscuit's Mum!

Warren Veteran
We put the buns outside on Saturday in the afternoon. I cried most of the day even though they were still inside all day!

Me and hubby spent half an hour in the kitchen working out if we could bear to put them outside.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think having buns outdoors is cruel or similar, it's just that ours have always been inside.

Anyway - they seem to love it. Went out this morning and got them in and they are happy being in and seem to love being out!

They are in a hutch at the moment with no run, which I think is a good start for them so they don't have a massive overhaul. My pops (an engineer and carpentry genius, made all of our massive childhood rabbit hutches) is here this weekend so we are going to ask him to give us some pointers on connecting the hutch to the 7x5 run we have.

Ramble ramble: now question

I am aware that buns are supposed to have a constant access to a run. At the same time I have heard that they shouldn't be in the run without constant supervision. Which is the right way?

I am thinking of an attachment between the hutch and run that is closeable overnight at least.

Our garden is fox-proof but as ever, not cat-proof. :roll:

If it's not cat proof, it's not fox proof ;)

Foxes can jump higher fences than cats :shock:

If you have a hutch/run combo - as long as its safe, you can leave them in that permanently :) Thats how most people do it with combos.

If you are leaving it on grass, you'll need to dig the grass up, lay mesh under it, then returf it etc.

Make sense? :wave:

If it's not cat proof, it's not fox proof ;)

Foxes can jump higher fences than cats :shock:

If you have a hutch/run combo - as long as its safe, you can leave them in that permanently :) Thats how most people do it with combos.

If you are leaving it on grass, you'll need to dig the grass up, lay mesh under it, then returf it etc.

Make sense? :wave:

Yep, I've planned that with the mesh. Even if they managed to break out, they can't get out of the garden: I've let Bikky (supervised) free range in there.

Fairly sure we are fox-proof. The cat is from next door and comes over our shared fence. Thinking I might get some fence spikes for the top.

My garden's not fox proof in fact Byron my smallest bunny scared off a fox last night through thumping - but I've ensured I have predator proof mesh and I've put the mesh bottoms on the bottom of the runs, with turf on top (which prevents them digging out or anyone digging in). This way they have 100% run access and they love it - when I come downstairs first thing in the morning Hope and Izzy are always outside enjoying the outside, and eating grass and watching the world wake up - they love it.

We have a 6ft fence,....and a fox jumped over that once.....so be aware that if a fox is hungry they will get into your garden...as long as the hutch /run combo is safe - under meshed run with grass over the top as Gray said or paved then it should be fine. You can also put paving slabs around the outside of the run...so if a fox tried to dig in - its further away than the actual run boundary if that makes sense...;) Ive also seen someone on RU setup - which was amazing..they had some fox proof wire(shock thingy) that they had around their aviary hooked on...

Bless you guys putting the bun soutside...its hard isnt it! Our have acces into our "sideboard" through the wall and its wonderful buuuut Im not happy with thier hutches...I want a shed & aviary right next to the house!:lol::lol::lol:

When our buns were in the hutch, the run was attched but we could still close the hutch door to keep them in at night. We also padlocked all the hutch doors and the lid of the run for extra security.

Mine used to have hutch/run combo so had 24/7 access to outside space. There was a little dior in between the hutch and run that was big enough for a bun but not big enough for a predator.I think people mean 'constant supervision' un relation to free-range time , if your dad builds a fox-proof palace, you shouldn't need to worry.
:wave:

I am aware that buns are supposed to have a constant access to a run. At the same time I have heard that they shouldn't be in the run without constant supervision. Which is the right way?

I am thinking of an attachment between the hutch and run that is closeable overnight at least.

Our garden is fox-proof but as ever, not cat-proof. :roll:

Most people mean buns should be supervised outside when the run doesn't have a roof... or its a weak run with chicken wire [which is best avoided] :wave:
If the run is good quality and you have good mesh for the sides and top then unsupervised is fine.

My bunnies have access to the run 24/7, and I do get foxes in the garden - I'm sure you will get foxes too, like GrahamL says ... if a cat can get in then so can a fox, but if you have secure stuff your bunns will be fine
xxxxxxxx

Back