• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allergy

LoopyLou2087

Warren Scout
My husband has, for the past week, been blowing his nose constantly from the moment he walks downstairs in a morning, until he goes to bed. I'm thinking it's the hay/straw I'm using for the bunnies. He's been taking anti-histamines, but they make him sleepy and even more grumpy than usual, and they don't seem to be having a massive effect. Obviously, there's nothing I can do about having hay around, though I could probably find an alternative to the straw.. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if there's anything I can do to minimise the effects etc.. other than separating him from the bunnies!
I won't be getting rid of my bunnies, I made a commitment to look after them, but I'm worried I might have move the hutch outside if it carries on. (For my husband to sleep in.. the bunnies can share my bed! :lol: )

Sorry can't really help you, but I do know that not all antihistimines make one drowsy, so may be worth having a chat to the Pharmacist at your local chemist.

My OH had this same problem too, we've moved the bunnies outside and now he's very happy as he can interact with them without feeling ill, and they love the space, fresh air etc. so they are all happy. I just miss having them indoors - but it is better for us as a family and it saves my OH being constantly under the weather.

I know putting them outside would solve the problem, but there are a LOT of cats around, and when I was a kid my rabbit died when there was a catfight right outside her hutch and she went into shock, so I'm worried about putting them out there. Also, it sounds awful, but I know they'd be forgotten about out there, I'm pretty busy with a house to look after, three kids and a dog, and I know if they're outside I won't think to go and spend time with them.
When I was growing up we had lots of pets: Cats - they had LOADS of babies and when my parents moved away they left them behind, I had to let the RSPCA take them.. Dogs - never looked after, never walked, never played with, several had to be rehomed, one was put to sleep because he turned nasty (it was not his fault, but the way he was treated).. Snakes - they all died prematurely, probably from living in unsanitary conditions.. Bird - I'm sure it willed itself to die.. Hamsters - same fate as the snakes.. Ferrets - rehomed because my Mother hated the smell... and honestly, the list goes on and on and on. And sadly I know the situation is still the same there, though I am powerless to do anything about it.
When I grew up I swore I would NEVER take a pet into my home unless it was going to be looked after properly, and I know the bunnies won't be if they are outside, we so rarely go out there. I'm also worried about flystrike, and escapees etc. Outside bunnies are just not for us.
Thanks for the suggestion though, any more would be appreciated..

You could substitute the straw for newspaper, carpet, lino, towels, vetbed, megazorb. Of course you need to be watchful that bun doesn't chew the towels etc.

You could look at the hay you have, is it dusty? You could try to find a less dusty hay - The Dustfree Hay company?

If the antihistamines aren't working then IMO it's not an allergy.

Do you use woodshavings at all? I think these are often a culprit and they aren't good for buns either.

We don't use wood shavings, just straw and hay. The anti-histamines work, but not amazingly well, and they make him sleepy, maybe it's because they're fairly cheap ones, IDK. The hay isn't dusty, though I did notice the straw is a little. It would be a shame to cut out the straw, they like it, and they love the occasional nibble too, but I might try cutting that out and being a little more careful with the hay.

OH is very allergic to our rabbits too - not normally a problem as they live in our outhouse but they are indoors while we bond them. We get the non-drowsy antihistamines from Wilkinsons - they are 49p a box and the same pack is sold in superdrug for nearly £3. They work fine for him and my 14 year old daughter.

Dusting with a damp cloth (while they arent around), hoovering and keeping the temperature down in the house also helps.

Back