• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy Eye, Now With Discharge [Clearer Pic Post 4]

Amy.

Alpha Buck
Hi Folks,
On Saturday morning when I went to put Leo and Roxy in their run I noticed Roxy's fur around her eye was wet. It didn't get noticably worse over the course of the day and there was no apparent discharge.
Yesterday it looked better, there was less weeping and only a spot of what looked to be sleep. Anyway, I decided to hold off taking her to the vets and I thought maybe she had got poked in the eye with a piece of hay or something and the eye would heal on its own (although there was no obvious signs of injury)
And then today it seemed worse again :( This morning it was wet again like on the first day. I went out just now and there was some more obvious discharge on the corner of the eye. I was lucky to get a picture of it because she clean it off pretty quick afterwards!
I've attached said photo, and we'll be going to the vets asap, but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing it's probably teeth or tear ducts. I've not read much about tear ducts, has anyone had a bun needing them flushed before?
(Her other eye is fine by the way, and Leo's seem okay too)
Thanks

As you can see there is a blob of white-ish discharge in the corner of the eye.

*Removed pic, please see post 3 :)*

(Ignore the white bit that goes from her eye onto her head, that's not discharge, it's a bit of tummy fur from her grooming routine!)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the focus point isn't quite right in that picture, so its hard to tell, but the eye is definately wet.

Vets trip as you say, hopefully they are rabbit-savvy and will know what to do for you.

Hopefully its just tear duct related, and not tooth root related.

Loads of vibes, let us know.

Unfortunately, the focus point isn't quite right in that picture, so its hard to tell, but the eye is definately wet.

Vets trip as you say, hopefully they are rabbit-savvy and will know what to do for you.

Hopefully its just tear duct related, and not tooth root related.

Loads of vibes, let us know.

Let's hope so, Thank you :)
I'm going to try and get a decent picture, they always look better on the camera screen... :lol:

Last edited:
Okay, take two! This is the best I could manage with the other rabbit biting my leg/ the camera strap!
The wetness is clearer in this pic and there is still a spot of discharge.

IMG_8281.jpg

Okay, take two! This is the best I could manage with the other rabbit biting my leg/ the camera strap!
The wetness is clearer in this pic and there is still a spot of discharge.

IMG_8281.jpg

:wave: thats not too bad i don't think, I've seen worse I've seen a milky white fluid coming from Jingles eye when I rescued him and it was just a few days ointment to get rid luckily no flushing or whatever which must be horrendous. I'd go with a vet check or bathe it with cooled boiled water on cotton wool and dry it for 24 hours, clean piece of cotton wool for each wipe is really important, minimum pressure and if no improvement then go to the vet, the fact the eye is open, quite clear, bunny I assume is eating and drinking normally would make me feel better that it could be a small abrasion or tiredness. Try building up your buns immunity with some dill and bramble leaves. Best of luck :wave:

Thanks Vicki!
Poor Jingles, glad he's okay now though! And yes, I completely forgot to add that she's eating, drinking and pooing as normal :oops::lol: I'll try the bathing and hope it clears up :)

Thanks Vicki!
Poor Jingles, glad he's okay now though! And yes, I completely forgot to add that she's eating, drinking and pooing as normal :oops::lol: I'll try the bathing and hope it clears up :)

Cool sounds like a plan, how old is she? Jingles was awful literally like milk coming out of his eyes, worse on one - god only knows how long it had been like that before I got him but he's was grand after a few days on fucilthalmic and lots of rest and food and hay which he'd been deprived of. He's about 5 now I think, I've had him a year and half now and he's loving life with his wifey Ness :love:

Cool sounds like a plan, how old is she? Jingles was awful literally like milk coming out of his eyes, worse on one - god only knows how long it had been like that before I got him but he's was grand after a few days on fucilthalmic and lots of rest and food and hay which he'd been deprived of. He's about 5 now I think, I've had him a year and half now and he's loving life with his wifey Ness :love:

Oh my gosh, poor Jingles, that sounds horrible! :(
Roxy is just about 2 now. I've taken some bramble leaves out to them, they had a few but weren't too interested!

Oh my gosh, poor Jingles, that sounds horrible! :(
Roxy is just about 2 now. I've taken some bramble leaves out to them, they had a few but weren't too interested!

Awww mine love brambles, maybe scatter them around in some hay and they'll nibble when they fancy them, dill is a hit with all mine and good to feed wet. Re the eye yes it was a bit worrying but the vets weren't overly concerned, had it not cleared up he most likely would have had to have them flushed but the ointment worked, I think they are a bit like us you know when they are tired etc they can have watery eyes but if in doubt get it checked out ;) Fingers crossed for her.:wave:

Back