• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit waste

LoopyLou2087

Warren Scout
I'm wondering what everyone does with the newspaper/straw/hay/megazorb etc that gets soiled on in their bunnies litter tray/cage etc.. I've had my bunnies a week, and having failed to come up with a better idea have been putting waste in the normal bin. This is very impractical, It hangs around in my garden attracting flies for two weeks, and it fills up my bin very quickly. I'm sure once it's been soiled on it can't be recycled, and I don't have a compost bin (and I don't really have room for one either). I'm not sure about putting it in the green bin, is it even allowed?
So I'm wondering what everyone else does.. and if anyone has any ideas on what I could do with mine :D Any ideas appreciated!

I alternate the two bins. I put it in my garden bin when I know it will be emptied next and then in my general waste bin the time after so that the longest it's waiting to be emptied is a week.

We have a storage bin as we have 22 bunnies and we put it all in bin bags and put it in the storage bin till we have about 8-10 bin bags full and then the O/H takes it to the tip.

If the waste contains newspaper, hay, straw, wood shavings or similar it all goes in our big green garden bin. We use puppy litter pads in the bottom of our litter trays and after shaking of most excess hay we just pop those into a bin bag, nappy bags would suit too :)

The rabbit poo/wee soiled wood shavings, soiled straw and dirty hay (if they've had it all over the floor) goes in the recycling bin and is emptied every 2 weeks, along with grass cuttings etc.

The soiled newspaper is brushed clean i.e. shavings/poo/wee into the recycle bin and then the newspaper goes in a separate bag and is also collected with the fortnightly recycling.

hay and poops goes in the brown bin (collection once every two weeks). dirty newspaper goes in the normal green bin (collection once a week).

waste from non-carniverous animals is allowed in the green garden waste bin but not waste from meat eaters i.e ferrets, cats, dogs etc

All my waste ends up in the compost bins on my allotment and it gives me a lovely textured compost when it has rotted down.

I've tried putting ours in the compost but doesn't seem to be rotting down at all. Need to have a chat with the green fingered neighbour I think!!!

Compost heap, the whole lot, poos, wet newspaper and hay. :) dad says he's had his best crop ofpotatoes this year :D

I've tried putting ours in the compost but doesn't seem to be rotting down at all. Need to have a chat with the green fingered neighbour I think!!!

Make sure you have a good balance of greens ( weeds,grass cuttings, veg etc) mixed through it and ensure it is not too dry by adding water and then all you need to do is turn it over every now and again. The more you turn it the quicker it composts.

Hope this helps

Kev

Ours goes in the compost bin if it's sweepings from the floor (this would be poo and hay) whereas litter tray emptying goes into the normal bin.

That was quick! Thanks for all the replies! I think I will be putting the waste in the green bin from now on, and I might look at getting a compost bin at some point if I can find somewhere to put it!

Make sure you have a good balance of greens ( weeds,grass cuttings, veg etc) mixed through it and ensure it is not too dry by adding water and then all you need to do is turn it over every now and again. The more you turn it the quicker it composts.

Hope this helps

Kev

Thanks Kev - I'll give it a try!

It goes into the compost bin at the bottom of the garden. It really helps to break the other stuff down and it's great for the garden:)

That was quick! Thanks for all the replies! I think I will be putting the waste in the green bin from now on, and I might look at getting a compost bin at some point if I can find somewhere to put it!

Our green bins here only take recycling, we have green bags for garden waste. My bin is always overflowing!

I put what i can into the compost bin...poops & aubiose and sometimes hay - but our compost bins not huge so doesnt have alot of room. Otherwise into our brown (garden waste) bin which get scollected very 2 weeks...and its fine. I prob. throw away almost a bucketfull a day...ish..sometimes less.:wave:

I put it in the green garden waste bags and the council collect it once a fourtnight, thankfully there is no limit on bags, I put about 12 out a fourtnight! :lol::lol:

Back