• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay recovery how diff from neuter?

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
Hiya all, this is along one as want to fill you in if you can spare me few mins

well after the loss of Flopsy my task has been getting a new bun asap as a friend as i coudlnt bear him to be alone in that big shed, anyway we got Poppy a new tri colour baby but that didnt go well i went about it the wrong way as no experience on bonding anyway i decided he was too aggressive with her and decided i hadnt the nerves to try bond them so i decided to let my heart rule my head and went to get her sister meaning i had two baby tri-colours Poppy and Daisy both 10 weeks old i cleaned the shed thoroughly replaced blankets litter trays food bowls etc etc and they are living happily in the shed but latest (daisy) is very frightened so more handling needed.

Anyway we decided to do up our wendy house for Toto and look into an older bun for him (female) anyway i stumbled across a female about 1 year old that my sister got for me (had all my feelers sp? out trying to get a solution rescue, friends and fam etc) anyway we have since found out she has just been used for breeding and now retired sort of so was stuck in a tiny cage anyway my sister couldnt keep her as i had hoped until we could get her checked out and spayed for toto, so had to take responsibility and take her straight away i have managed to do a makeshift house for her with a run until we can get her checked out she is soooo lovely is a seal point i think they call it we have named her Dorothy as in Toto and Dorothy hee hee anyway i have bathed her cause she was bit stinky clipped her nails and booked her in for spay on wed and get vaccinations sorted (if we can have myxi done on same day?) anyway i want to get a full bill of clean health for her Toto seems very interested in her in the run next to her at on point when we were trying to sort out the housing situation (in the pouring rain) they both escaped in the garden and they touched noses briefly and he shoved his head under hers i was panicking as wanted to keep her separate incase she had anything wrong i was so annoyed we let this happen but we cant change it now anyway he didnt go for her like he did with Poppy perhaps cause of being a older bun? who knows anyway they are now separated.

What i wanted to check is what should i be expecting from recovery of spay i had both boys neutered together and recovered together in a small pen where i could keep and eye on them not hurting or damaging op area, they quickly recovered from it and couldnt wait get back into their own home. Will i have to do anything diff for girl, i realise she will take 6-8 weeks to recover before i can bond with Toto but i had my heart strings pulled with this girl and wanted to give her a home she deserved and a possible friend for Toto, although the little monkey is binkying around his run wondering what all the fuss is about grrrr now i have 4 bunnies eek but i am hoping we can have two in the shed (babies will be spayed when old enough) and toto and dorothy can live happily ever after its been an eventful few days but i am hoping it all comes out to be positive

thanks for reading again xx

Last edited:
u need to keep her on one level with no sawdust on floor ....i had my three on blankets...a bowl of water and her favourite foods stocked in.....she should get metacalm after op if they dont give u any tell em u want it....oh and hay lol

u need to keep her on one level with no sawdust on floor ....i had my three on blankets...a bowl of water and her favourite foods stocked in.....she should get metacalm after op if they dont give u any tell em u want it....oh and hay lol

ok thanks hun i dont use sawdust so thats ok i am a big fan of fleece blankets for my buns too! so much pampering needed make it nice and comfortable do the females have to have stitches removed the boys didnt?

as for when i have two girls done together (providing the bond isnt broken beforehand) can i take them and recover them together in a pen, did you do that with your girls toegther?
xx

I can only give you advice on the experience I have had of spay vs neuter. When I had a male bun a long time ago he was neutered and was back to full health pretty much the next day. No issues at all!!!

When I had Jessica spayed in March this year she did become quite poorly - its really quite a big operation for a girl so can really knock the stuffing out of them. Jessica went into the vets first thing on the monday and everything went ok. Whilst in recovery at the vets she wasnt eating/producing pellets/wee so they kept her in overnight. The following morning she still hadnt eaten and at this point I was getting really, really worried about her. They kept her in all of that day, as I kept phoning all day to check on her progress eventually they let her come home that night with some antibiotics and painkiller, aswell as medicine to get the gut moving (cant remember the names right now). I am not going to lie she needed a lot of attention to get her feeding again. This might not happen with your bun but I suppose its best to be prepared for it just incase...

I would suggest getting lots of your buns favourite foods... if she stops eating because of the pain it could be very serious so the key thing is to keep encouraging her and make sure she gets her painkiller - ask for more from the vet if necessary. This not eating was quite a shock for me because before the op she was a really good eater!! Again this might not happen to your bun but this was my experience. Eventually she started to take nibbles of dandelion leaves and I fed her tonnes of hay and all her favourites - she took little tiny bites and she took the rest of the week to recover fully. I spent lots of time with her talking to her - if you can do this I really think it helps as she only ate when I sat with her and fed it to her. She didnt really return to normal toilet habits until a couple of days later but they do say that they should start passing normally within the first 24 hours.

Lots of love and attention required I think and all should be well. If you are worried at all speak to your vet - I did and although I felt a bit of a pest Im sure they understood :):love:

ok thanks hun i dont use sawdust so thats ok i am a big fan of fleece blankets for my buns too! so much pampering needed make it nice and comfortable do the females have to have stitches removed the boys didnt?

as for when i have two girls done together (providing the bond isnt broken beforehand) can i take them and recover them together in a pen, did you do that with your girls toegther?
xx

They use self dissolving stitches (at least my vet did) so no removing of these required. x:love:

i had 3 girls done a bonded pair and a single girl.....2 different vets did the ops....the bonded girls had staples and yes they had to be taken out and i kept them together b4 and after but my single girl had stitches so didnt need anything else doing they all recovered very well....but i must say the bonded pair recovered quicker than my single girlie and i think thats because they had each other and it kept them going......
they will need pain relief and they should go back to vets 3 days after to check healing and then 10 days after to make sure they healing ok.......

any thing else just ask hun....it was very stressful for me as i havent had girls done b4 and so i understand......i cried with relief wen they rang on the day and told me they were ok (silly woman i am lol)

p.s i wouldnt bond till after she has healed if they not bonded now then leave it till shes healed.....

Last edited:
i had 3 girls done a bonded pair and a single girl.....2 different vets did the ops....the bonded girls had staples and yes they had to be taken out and i kept them together b4 and after but my single girl had stitches so didnt need anything else doing they all recovered very well....but i must say the bonded pair recovered quicker than my single girlie and i think thats because they had each other and it kept them going......
they will need pain relief and they should go back to vets 3 days after to check healing and then 10 days after to make sure they healing ok.......

any thing else just ask hun....it was very stressful for me as i havent had girls done b4 and so i understand......i cried with relief wen they rang on the day and told me they were ok (silly woman i am lol)

p.s i wouldnt bond till after she has healed if they not bonded now then leave it till shes healed.....

i will be soo stressed the girl am taking on wed is the breeding girl (not bred by us but previous owner) she not bonded with Toto yet (my boy) but will bond when she is fully healed i wanted to get her done asap before auntumn/winter comes so i can get the bonding started soon, they have been in runs next to one another and safe to say ignored each other really ha ha, but need make sure she is fit enough for spay first with not knowing much about her background? will they give myxi at same time she never had any jabs!, as for my other two girls they are bonded sisters now 10 weeks old so fingers crossed they keep their bond and i can take them together fingers crossed for wed for me with Dorothy poor bun looks sad i want her to be a happy bunny! from what i gather not had much of a life so far as they just bred from i dont think but want her to have a life like our Toto has he is a happy bunny bless she is so scared to even come out of the dog crate and explore her run bless just used to sitting there her legs must be so stiff, Toto will show her how to have fun my parents say he thinks he is a dog how he acts he is such a character i hope Dorothy develops a character now like him she needs to build up trust with us that will take time she like being stroked on the nose and behind ears but scared of being picked up i have to use a towel she likes being held close though bless

yeah my boys were over theirs in a few days although i did keep them in a pen in the house for 7 days much to their disappointment:lol: for their own good:love:

Got my girl bun spayed a month ago and she has recovered well but boy was it a worrying weekend for me!

She didn't eat much for 24 - 36 hours and pretty much no poo. I was really worried as she could go into stasis! Metacam and antibiotics. I had to tempt her with all sorts of veg, treats, etc till I hit the magic button - radish leaves! She would eat nothing but that for 24 hours! On the 3rd day, she was moving around quite a bit and eating more.

One lesson I learnt: don't remove them from their familiar surroundings. I tried to keep her separated from her brother (he was humping her before) in a small carrier cage. But when I opened the door of the carrier, to my surprise, she took a great leap back into her own cage and with her thug of a brother! Recovery was quick after that. Being back at home with her brother probably lessened her stress and sped up her recovery. Voila! Hope that helped :)

yeah bonded pairs should stay together as it can stress them being seperated apparently......im not sure whether u can get jabs straight away hun.....but she will need a preop befre spaying so ask vet and see what they say....u should get a care sheet aswell telling you what to do ........most important things are her painrelief and getting her eating drinking weeing and pooing if shes not pooed or eaten anything by the morning after get vets adfvice

o i forgot u should get fibreplex it keeps the gut moving i think....

:love::wave: thanks everyone i think i know what to expect now she wont be put with Toto as they havent bonded yet only met and sniffed so she in a make shift pen next to his wendy house at the mo with a trixie run each until such time i can bond properly i will put her back in there or shall i keep pen inside house? to keep eye on her i did that with the boys but they were easy she a diff story, scared stiff and new surroundings so all happening at once for her but i need to get her done asap before i can bond with Toto, need to get done so they can share the wendy house for winter she cant stay in the accommodation we have set up at the mo its only temp i am sure all will be fine i think i over-worry sometimes these buns have a habit of doing that :lol::roll:

:love::love:

have u taken her for her preop hun....they will give u advice and answer any questions.......u need to keep her warm so i suppose do what you have to to achieve that.....some buns recover quicker than others...glad we have been of help and it is scary for them as well as us lol

have u taken her for her preop hun....they will give u advice and answer any questions.......u need to keep her warm so i suppose do what you have to to achieve that.....some buns recover quicker than others...glad we have been of help and it is scary for them as well as us lol

They are doing the basic check over and i presume preop on wed morning then if all is well will take her to the main branch in Congleton where they do the ops i just hope she is well enough she is eating and pooping but i have explained to them she was a breeding girl want her checked out for clean bill of health, spayed and injections done before i bond with Toto he is my baby and i would hate for him to catch something from her as we dont know all her background she is shaking her head and scratching at ears so i am guessing mites? but roll on wed when they can check her out i will feel so much better :wave::love:

Well done for rescuing the female rabbit.

Didn't know you had got 2 youngsters! Might be worth getting a vet to triple check that they are both female. A lot of vets will do this for free and it can save major problems later on if a mistake has been made by the breeder!

Good luck with the bonding.

Well done for rescuing the female rabbit.

Didn't know you had got 2 youngsters! Might be worth getting a vet to triple check that they are both female. A lot of vets will do this for free and it can save major problems later on if a mistake has been made by the breeder!

Good luck with the bonding.

The girl youngsters - i have them booked in next wed Poppy due her VHD and Daisy getting her Myxi so will get them check Daisy out i already had it confirmed Poppy was a girl but will def get Daisy checked out, they seem so happy in their shed bless not figured out the cat flap yet they keep sticking their nose out though its so cute, Dorothy didnt get the spay (other threads on leg op:() she is in safe hands now and no matter if the bond doesnt go to plan in the future with Toto i will be buying her a new two tier large hutch and large run and give her a life she deserves i will just let them free range separate so she gets to graze in the garden too but fingers crossed they will bond xxxx

Back