PDA

View Full Version : Bonding and free range time....

clarebear
22-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I bonded Bramble and Bungee over the weekend. They went in together on Friday, and spent Friday and Saturday night indoors in a playpen. Put them outside in a hutch yesterday, and introduced a run for them. I plan to add another run on today.

Can I let them have some free range time together now?

LoopyLouie
22-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Personally I would leave it longer, adding space to early is the easiest way to break a bond.

clarebear
22-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Just thought it would be easier to clean them out!

ripminnie
22-08-2011, 02:09 PM
:wave: how are they getting on? I brought my two new buns Digby and Daisy home on Saturday and they currently have half of the kennel run each. They're desperate to come out, but they can't as I want the garden to stay neutral. I'm going to be bonding them at the weekend and I'm so nervous! Good luck with yours :wave:

littleboots
22-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I think they would be fine. You seem to have a good bond there :)
I would personally let them have freerange

GrahamL
22-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't give ANY free-range time until at least 7 full days without a scrap had occurred.

littleboots
22-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't give ANY free-range time until at least 7 full days without a scrap had occurred.

I think it would depend on the buns to be honest.. Ive had buns that have bonded so easy and have free ranged on day 1.
With an "easy" bond I cant think of anything worse than keeping them in a restricted space when its clearly not necessary.

GrahamL
22-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I think it would depend on the buns to be honest.. Ive had buns that have bonded so easy and have free ranged on day 1.
With an "easy" bond I cant think of anything worse than keeping them in a restricted space when its clearly not necessary.

I do partially agree with you, however, clarebear had problems with these two after 'free-ranging' them really early in a previous bonding-date.

Opinion asked for, opinion given :)

chul
22-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Personally, I wouldnt after such a short bonding time.

littleboots
22-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I do partially agree with you, however, clarebear had problems with these two after 'free-ranging' them really early in a previous bonding-date.

Right Graham... I didnt know there had been previous probs... it just read as an easy bond as they look soooo good!!!

ETA.. I cant actually find any thread about previous problems :oops:

GrahamL
22-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Right Graham... I didnt know there had been previous probs... it just read as an easy bond as they look soooo good!!!

Which is cool, just wanted to comment on the previous threads i was aware of :)

Not to know obviously :)

clarebear
22-08-2011, 03:33 PM

No had no probs with them, they've always got on fine even when free ranging before bonding (naughty I know!). They have never fought....all loved up....I hope! :wave:

littleboots
22-08-2011, 03:47 PM
No had no probs with them, they've always got on fine even when free ranging before bonding (naughty I know!). They have never fought....all loved up....I hope! :wave:

I didnt think youd had probs but thought I must have missed something...
As I said before, I would let them have a run in the garden:D
They are gorgeous by the way:love:

clarebear
22-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I didnt think youd had probs but thought I must have missed something...
As I said before, I would let them have a run in the garden:D
They are gorgeous by the way:love:

Thank you. I think I will have to, as it's the only way to give them a good clean out.

missFloppyears
22-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Thank you. I think I will have to, as it's the only way to give them a good clean out.

could you make shift a small pen while you clean them out hunny?

i needs more picccieeeess!!!!
im so proud of princee bungee and prince bramble, i was telling Ruby and Jay about how beautiful their little girl had grown to be.

hope they stay as loved up as they have been :):love::love:

Santa
22-08-2011, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't advise it, even seemingly easy bonds can break down with too much change or too much space too quickly, I have known it happen at least as often as not. For the sake of another week or so I don't think it's worth the risk, moving from bonding pen to hutch, to run, to extra run is a lot of changes in a short space of time so I wouldn't risk more yet. It might well be fine, but it might not, and it's just not worth risking it to not be, IMO.

littleboots
22-08-2011, 08:45 PM
How did it go:wave:

clarebear
23-08-2011, 11:15 AM
It was fine! :wave: They had a lovely couple of hours hopping around the patio playing, no problems.....I'm so relived! Gave me a chance to give their hutch and run a good clean out and add the other part of the run.

They had their tea outside Al Fresco!

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8499/005rfg.jpg

Their run is now over 10 foot long, and is only temporary until we get them a whole new set up. They seem to like it though :)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/131/002mlp.jpg

littleboots
23-08-2011, 12:45 PM
It was fine! :wave: They had a lovely couple of hours hopping around the patio playing, no problems.....I'm so relived! Gave me a chance to give their hutch and run a good clean out and add the other part of the run.

They had their tea outside Al Fresco!

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8499/005rfg.jpg

Their run is now over 10 foot long, and is only temporary until we get them a whole new set up. They seem to like it though :)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/131/002mlp.jpg

Wonderful!!!!
What a fab pair these two are:love::love:
and well done to you!!!:D