• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and guinea-pigs

Alicia

Mama Doe
My rabbits have always been kept seperate from my guinea-pigs, but a lot of the time the hutches are next to each other or when Archie and Molly used to free range they'd run up to the guinea-pig hutches. Could this pass the disease on to the guinea-pigs? How do guinea-pigs get this disease that rabbits carry? Should I move the hutches away from each other? I haven't had any problems yet but I don't want my piggies getting ill

My guinea pigs hutch is in the shed where my buns live. :) I've never had problems. A few times the buns actually jumped in when i was feeding the piggies! :shock: They didn't care about each other though and the buns were out the hutch in a few seconds. :lol: Never had any pigs get the disease and i've had them near each other for 2 years. :) I care about my guinea pigs and wouldn't have them near the buns if I thought it was a risk. I'd never let them live together though.

I don't really know if I believe in this disease. It is very rarely mentioned in books, in fact, I have never seen either a rabbit or guinea pig book which mentions it. I used to keep rabbits with guinea pigs, and even now, my guinea pigs are in the shed with the rabbits running free so I figure they are just as much at risk.

My bunnies also hop in and out of the guineas hutches when I feed them.

I don't know, but I just find it hard to believe its as much of a risk as some people on here make it out to be. :?

I don't really know if I believe in this disease. It is very rarely mentioned in books, in fact, I have never seen either a rabbit or guinea pig book which mentions it. I used to keep rabbits with guinea pigs, and even now, my guinea pigs are in the shed with the rabbits running free so I figure they are just as much at risk.

I don't know, but I just find it hard to believe its as much of a risk as some people on here make it out to be. :?

On the contrary - far from it rarely being mentioned, a very quick google of the word bordatella brings up a myriad of sites which suggest that it's the most common respiratory infection in guinea pigs!

This one, for instance: http://www.guinea-pig-information.co.uk/bordatella.php

Rabbits are symptomless carriers of bordatella - so if they are carriers, you would have no idea...in much the same way that about half the UK population are carriers of staphylococcus aureus bacteria yet it doesn't cause them sore throats or wound infections, but can cause other people to be ill if they eat food prepared badly by someone who is a carrier. If you have rabbits carrying bordatella and they live with or come into contact with guinea pigs, then you could have a problem. But of course as it's symptomless in bunnies, there's no way of knowing whether any given rabbit is a carrier or not.

i never had a problem tbh with this either
ant and chloe go out in the run together because if not they both have no company and i know its not ideal but atm mum wont let me get either a friend so i thought at least if they go in the run together on good days they wont be lonely they dont live together because they both eat different food but i never had any problems with them being in the run together

Last edited:
I thought all bunnies were carriers. Thank you for all the help. When my rabbits were able to free range, Archie used to run over to the guinea-pig hutches and put his nose through the bars, and the guinea-pigs went up to the side and sniffed him :lol: They have been fine. What are the symptoms of this disease in guinea-pigs?

Bordatella is just 1 of the risks to guinea pigs,
EC is also passed to guineapigs as well as many other illness's
this only causes an issue when the either party is poorly and has a low immune system due to stress...

sorry didnt want to look like a know it all their:lol:
i did a lot of research into it when poppet and the boars lived indoors, poppet would try to get to them:roll:

:wave:

Bordatella is just 1 of the risks to guinea pigs,
EC is also passed to guineapigs as well as many other illness's
this only causes an issue when the either party is poorly and has a low immune system due to stress...

sorry didnt want to look like a know it all their:lol:
i did a lot of research into it when poppet and the boars lived indoors, poppet would try to get to them:roll:

:wave:

Yes. I agree. EC is one of those illnesses not really prevalent in guinea pigs. From what I have read it is only really seen when a guinea pig (or it's mother) has lived with rabbits.

Rabbits carry the disease Bordatella (as do dogs), but they are immune to it so it doesn't effect them. Guinea pigs can, and have gotten Bordatella from rabbits (and dogs).
It can be traveled by contact, sharing toys and also by the air so its advised to keep them as far away as possible!

Rabbits carry the disease Bordatella (as do dogs), but they are immune to it so it doesn't effect them. Guinea pigs can, and have gotten Bordatella from rabbits (and dogs).
It can be traveled by contact, sharing toys and also by the air so its advised to keep them as far away as possible!

Oh dear - there's no hope for Gubbins and Hooter then! They share the lawn with the rabbits and the house with the dogs. We're all doomed :shock:. We'll just have to take our chances.

Oh dear - there's no hope for Gubbins and Hooter then! They share the lawn with the rabbits and the house with the dogs. We're all doomed :shock:. We'll just have to take our chances.

Being sarcastic much?

Three of my rabbits are in the same room as my five guinea pigs - I was just stating what has been scientifically proven :\

I plan on getting guinea pigs and sugar gliders one day so this is a concern for me :( I'm not sure how you get around it? You can hardly change your clothes every time you interact with the opposite species.

I'm confused about dog bordatella. I have dogs and it seems as long as the dogs have the vaccine they shouldn't be able to get bordatella or pass it?

Being sarcastic much?

Three of my rabbits are in the same room as my five guinea pigs - I was just stating what has been scientifically proven :\

Oh dear - I wasn't 'having a go' or trying to be sarcastic. I was actually trying to be be amusing by saying that my critters have no option but to share the same space and they'd have to take their chances. Unfortunately, it's very hard to get things across properly on a forum sometimes. Hope you didn't take offence.

Back