• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treating an unvacs bun for myxi...

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
& EC - she's a wildie too.

Before the Good People Of RU batter me - I probably agree with you.

My bunsitter is a vetnurse at my vets & an injured wildie was taken in & she handreared her. She doesn't keep buns, but I currently have one wildie (Bella) I haven't been able to bond, so agreed to take this one on, with the intention of rehoming if new bun wouldn't bond with Bella.

In the mean time new wildie developed myxi - I already have myxi here so declined to take her - didn't want increased risk to my own buns, but with vetnurse going on holiday - my blokie got his first rabbit. (We have our own places)

I was actually really surprised that my vet treated & not pts - but having now spent time with her - she's an amazing bubbly little thing. If you sit down, she jumps on your knee. She's so friendly:love: Her myxi symptoms are now reduced to just gunky eyes & she handles the baytril & eye gel very well.

However - she's a scrawny little thing - all skin & bone, falls over when she runs, & doesn't seem to react properly - it's hard to explain. She now seems to have the milky whiteness in her eyes which new Bradford vet says is cataracts? (She's back on panacur)

So can these be removed & is it fair on a wildie?

My whole outlook on wildies - based on my knowledge of Bella, is that it isn't fair to put her through this. But now me & blokie "know" this bun, so I feel we are too close to it. She's never gonna have the life she was meant to have. And at the minute, until we get any myxi success, she's living in the spare room of a flat with limited communal-garden access when we have time to sit outseide with her.

Hi

no battering from here :)

I seem to recall a study of myxi wildies somewhere (UEA Norwich) that claimed that most of the young wildies that caught it got over it due to the mothers having been exposed in the past - so there may be a chance which is better than the chance a domestic bun would have.

Re the milky eyes - this is odd - I did not thin EC was prevelant with wildies - but may be wrong.

the milkiness is not strictly cataracts IF its EC - and cannot be cured - (and tbh I would not recommend trying to remove cataracts on buns eyes - though it can be done - but wildie eyes are so different as well so I would say no to that).

BUT I suspect that if she recovers from the myxi then a certain blindnedd will not hurt that much - even our most blind bun still distinguishes light/dark and has a great way of moving around sensing things.

Good Luck!!

if shes ok being handled then good shes getting a chance..although not sure i could do it .

certainly no bashing from here though ..

we can all say what we would do in a situation ...but faced with holding that little life in our hands our decision is often different .

I always say i would not try to treat an unvaccinated bun for Myxi...but i m pretty sure faced with it Id probably do an about turn .

I have no experience or advice - or anything useful to add. I just wanted to say good luck and well done for thinking about what would be the best to do for the bun xxxx

if shes ok being handled then good shes getting a chance..although not sure i could do it .

certainly no bashing from here though ..

we can all say what we would do in a situation ...but faced with holding that little life in our hands our decision is often different .

I always say i would not try to treat an unvaccinated bun for Myxi...but i m pretty sure faced with it Id probably do an about turn .

yeah that's the key - I watch her fall over, run into things, scan, her eyes stuck together with the gel stuff, then she jumps on my knee & flops onto her side.

I keep being surpised when she's still alive. Think blokie is too - he was making her porridge this morning:love:

I think if she seems happy in herself and her current surroundings, go for it. It sounds like she may be over the worse and if she has adapted to captive life quickly and seems content, I wouldn't pts.

You are experienced enough to read her body language and gauge how she feels emotionally and physically and to accommodate what she needs if necessary.

Animals adapt to vision impairments really well normally too.

:wave:

Last edited:
Having had five unvaccinated buns all survive myxi I would always give a bun a chance if that was what the bun wanted. None of my five 'gave up' and all the time they wanted to fight, I went along with it - and persuaded my vet to do so too.

I'd wait a while and see how your bun's quality of life is long-term - once she has completely recovered from the myxi. It sounds like she is quite tame for a wildie and she may be able to be bonded and live a happy life.

A litter of french lops (unvaccinated) were successfully treated by a Scottish rescue. Minds gone blank and I cant remember the name.

It was me that posted about wildies recovering from myxi. I was told by the lead wild rabbit researcher in the country (I believe) that all the aduld wildies that live on the UEA campus have had myxi and recovered from it. She has seen them recover from very severe symptoms. Hope the little wildie is okay. :wave:

Back