• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another 3 to the vet - RTI - Advice please post 20

weedug

Mama Doe
Timmy was at the vet yesterday with what could have been a rti, and was put on antibiotics. I now have another bun, Honey, who has a snotty nose.

Floppy sneezed loads last night (he doesn't usually sneeze), so he is going to the vet today too, and Fluff's nose looks slightly wet (he has an old nose injury though and his nose is often wet).

Honey, Floppy and Fluff are off the the vet this afternoon.

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd be really grateful. I don't know where I've gone wrong with them.

Last edited:
Sounds like snuffles, especially since one had it and the others now have it too, snuffles is highly contagious.

Deffo see the vet for urgent treatment.

Sounds like snuffles, especially since one had it and the others now have it too, snuffles is highly contagious.

Deffo see the vet for urgent treatment.

Sorry, i disagree.

'Snuffles' is a generic term for any Respiratory Tract Infection / Issue.

weedug - it could be one of many things, as i'm sure you're already aware.

Let us know how you get on at the vets - hopefully its something a simple course of anti-biotics can fix, but if not, you may need further investigative work, such as Culture & Sensitivity tests etc.

Good luck - let us know! :wave:

Vibes for all invovled.

OH is convinced it has something to do with the hay, somehow.

At least Timmy didn't have a temperature yesterday. I changed his hay to shop bought yesterday, and his breathing seems very slightly better so far today (or maybe it's the antibiotics or wishful thinking).

Appointment isn't till this afternoon, so I've got all day to worry.

The hay CAN cause symptoms such as you're seeing, it could be dusty, it could be some kind of chemical in the hay, mouldy hay etc.

You're vet is the best person to give you answers at this time :)

Thanks Graham. I'll get some shop bought hay for them all when I'm at the vet, just in case it helps.

I'm worried sick. This has all happened so quickly.

Thanks Graham. I'll get some shop bought hay for them all when I'm at the vet, just in case it helps.

I'm worried sick. This has all happened so quickly.

Try not to worry too much, an RTI is treatable in most cases, and isn't the be all end of all of a bunnys life. Lots of buns can still live happy bouncy lives, even with RTI's.

I know thats not always easy to do, but you caught it quick and are acting as a responsible owner, so its all good :)

Try not to worry too much, an RTI is treatable in most cases, and isn't the be all end of all of a bunnys life. Lots of buns can still live happy bouncy lives, even with RTI's.

I know thats not always easy to do, but you caught it quick and are acting as a responsible owner, so its all good :)

Thanks for trying to calm me down a bit. I know I have wound myself up into an utter panic :oops:.

At least one bun (Floppy) seems fine today, but he's going to get checked over anyway.

Thanks for trying to calm me down a bit. I know I have wound myself up into an utter panic :oops:.

At least one bun (Floppy) seems fine today, but he's going to get checked over anyway.

That's alright, it's nice to be able to give back when people here have helped me so much!

Panicking is so easy to do, especially when we love them so much.

Who'd have em eh?

Well that's us back, with a bottle of antibiotic for each bun.

No bun has a temperature, and their chests weren't out the ordinary, but he was a bit concerned about the discharge from Honey, so thought they should all go on antibiotics in case the other 2 had the start of something. Fluff's nose is a bit wet, but it sometimes is from an old injury, just maybe slightly wetter than usual.

He couldn't say for sure at this stage, but thought that it could be a rti, with Honey as the source, although he's not ruling out anything just now.

The plan is to get them on the antibiotics now, when things are still mild or starting, and if there is no improvement, then to do cultures.

So far, Timmy's breathing has become much better, and I can't hear anything unusual even with him pressed to my ear :oops:.

Floppy seems fine, and Fluff's nose seems slightly drier this morning.

Although I don't see snot on Honey's nose, her front paws are matted so assume it is still there and she is just cleaning it off herself. No symptoms on anyone else, yet.

Just been to check on Fluff, and he has an obvious snotty nose. When I picked him up his breathing got a bit noisy. Should I panic, or does he just need more time for the antibiotics to work? He started them on Monday evening.

I was advices to move him out the same shed as Honey ( they're not bonded - Fluff needs neutered). Could the stress of moving him out have made him worse? I was thinking of just moving him back in, since he is obviously unwell and presumably feels better in familiar surroundings. Would that be ok?

Can I do anything else for them?

Seprim is often used for snuffles. I think you need quite a long course and need to use it for two weeks after symptoms have gone.
To be honest I would think your other rabbit will have already been exposed to the bacteria and moving bunnies around does cause stress. Snuffles is often brought on by stress. So I would actually move him back and keep everything as normal as possible. That's just my opinion though.
I have a snuffle bun with a bonded partner and although he is really, really bad, she's fine. :wave:

Edit: I would give some time for the Seprim to work and if it doesn't you might have to look at stronger antibiotics. A culture test can be done to determine which antibiotic will be best but I think they have to be off antibiotics for a week for the culture test to work properly. And obviously this can cause the infection to get a lot worse.

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm sure the stress of being in a new place may have made him worse, so am going to move him back and see if that helps any.

Timmy was pretty bad with his breathing before starting the antibiotics on Sunday, and now he sounds fine, so hopefully the others will respond too.

You poor thing, it must be very stressful for you. ((HUGS)) One respitory bun is enough to keep me busy, let alone three.

It will take a while for the antibiotics to kick in. If any of them are particularly snotty you can ask your vet for som bisolvon to give alongside the antibiotics - its a mucotic, it thins it out so its easier for them to breath.

I'd agree move him back. In my experience URI's aren't contagious and even though your situation is suggesting your particular infection may be, the bunny in question has presumably already been exposed so the harm may of already been done. He'll recover much quicker in a familiar enviroment.

Thank you so much for the reply, and managing to put my mind at rest a bit!

I have 4 out of my 7 buns on antibiotics just now for suspected upper RTI. All took ill within 24 hours of each other, which surprised me.

I've just finished moving Fluff back, and he looks so much happier sat in his usual spot looking out the window.

I am struggling trying to work out how to let the buns out to exercise, without passing anything on to any others.

I am so thankful I have insurance for them all!

Back