• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you make up your hutch?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Im looking for advice on bedding and general hutch care and im a complete rabbit newbie! ...what do you put where? I have been reading not to bother with shavings?

Thanks!

edit to add, i just realised their is ahousing section! sorry!! :oops:

Last edited:
When i got them as babies last November -
Bedroom - 1ft deep straw
Day room - Newspaper on the floor with wood shavings on top and a hay box (cat litter tray) and toys in run.

Now since neutering and litter training -
Lino floor
Bedroom - (at the moment they have straw) but i ordered them a soft dog bed from ebay to replace that.
Day room - Door mat to sit on, Hay rack (ikea bag holder) and cat litter tray.

Depends on the rabbits! I have three sets of bunnies, all have to be treated differently :roll:

One lot have newspaper only on floor of hutch and have litter trays/beds upstairs. More than one blade of hays on the newspapr together and it becomes a place to wee :roll: Downstairs they just have litter trays/beds in their run

One lot have newspaper on floor of hutch and have just a big lump of hay (not in a box) in their sleeping area. No poos or wees are done upstairs, but they do go up there and eat sometimes. Downstairs they just have litter trays/beds in their run

The last pair have newspaper on the floor with litter trays up and down, but they also have a bed of hay upstairs by the mesh so they can sit on it when they sit up there - in winter only. In summer if you put hay up there they shove it all downstairs and wee on it (but not if it stays upstairs)

Bless them :roll: :lol:

Foam play mats covering the whole floor. Then they have storage boxes where they want them for toilets. A couple of blankets in their sleepy area andinn winter the blankets are replaced with a thick layer of straw.

Coco and Thumper's sleep quarters has about half a newspaper (whole, just opened up) with a thin layer of straw on it (this will change to newspaper, 2cm wood shavings and a good deep layer of straw in winter with possibly one of those silver shiny heat sheets in). The rest of the hutch just has newspaper on the floor, again simply opened up. The floor of the main play area takes 2 opened newspapers. They also have a litter tray which is one of those grey office type trays which has a whole newspaper in and a layer of wood shavings. On the top floor outside the sleep quarters is the water bottle and hay rack. The bottom floor has a few toys and litter tray and a vitamin lick or whatever it is. Oh, there's a salt lick hanging off the hay rack. They don't appear to have used either lick.

My two sleep on an old settee!!!:roll::roll:

They have four layers of towels...just in case of any mishaps in the night, two teddies and a cuddly cushion.

On the floor there is lino, and in places on top of that paper and then a couple of litter trays dotted around the .............................conservatory!!

Lucky them.:D:D.

Back