• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting new buns in adjacent pens...

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Is this good or not?
Digby and Daisy have been next to each other since they arrived yesterday. There was lots of grunting from Digby to Daisy, and chasing up and down the mesh.
He seems a bit calmer today and I think he licked her nose at one point, but OH was in there earlier and said Digby was pulling bits of fur from her bum when she was sat by the mesh :?
Is that a bad sign? Does it mean Digby doesn't like Daisy? Daisy seems quite keen. I'm getting nervous about bonding next weekend...

It worked for me. Tbh I think it's because she's near his territory and she's totally new for him. Maybe over excited, maybe hormones, maybe he just doesn't like her. He should settle down so hopefully bonding won't be a pain. Good luck :)

You can't tell how they will react to each other when they are bars between. :) Rabbits communicate a lot with body language and so they can't communicate properly and interact properly through bars. :)

You can't draw any conclusions about how they will bond from that. Buns are territorial and will defend their territory and attempt to attack invading buns, that doesn't tell you how they will react on neutral territory. Personally if this is the reaction so far, I would advise separating the Pena or putting a physical barrier there as well, as you could end up with them winding each other up during the week and that may make for a more tricky bond.

You can't tell how they will react to each other when they are bars between. :) Rabbits communicate a lot with body language and so they can't communicate properly and interact properly through bars. :)

Oh good, it might still be ok then... :wave:

You can't draw any conclusions about how they will bond from that. Buns are territorial and will defend their territory and attempt to attack invading buns, that doesn't tell you how they will react on neutral territory. Personally if this is the reaction so far, I would advise separating the Pena or putting a physical barrier there as well, as you could end up with them winding each other up during the week and that may make for a more tricky bond.

I can't separate the pens as they have half the kennel each :(
Most of the time everything is fine though :?
Daisy just wants to be friends I think, she wants Digby to groom her head :love:

Good luck! It's definitely worth a try.

We tried bringing the one of the outdoor buns inside for a cuddle but even the sight of a stranger across the room was too much for our house rabbits -Keith Richards and she took it out on poor Mick Jagger - took them hours to calm down again!

Back