• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

kennel cough vaccination?

Buns can get it I think, it's an RTI caused by Bordatella I believe. But I've never heard of a vaccine for it.

this is why i'm confused - its on the reminder letter for esme's vhd and myxo jabs!!

i think buns can carry it but it doesn't affect them. however, it can be transferred to a guinea pig which can be fatal (another good reason not to keep them together!).

maybe my vets have used a standard doggy letter but i thought i'd ask in case i'd missed some major new development in bunny health!!

this is why i'm confused - its on the reminder letter for esme's vhd and myxo jabs!!

i think buns can carry it but it doesn't affect them. however, it can be transferred to a guinea pig which can be fatal (another good reason not to keep them together!).

maybe my vets have used a standard doggy letter but i thought i'd ask in case i'd missed some major new development in bunny health!!

I guess you could review things if Esme starts barking at Eric........... :shock:

I guess you could review things if Esme starts barking at Eric........... :shock:

:lol: IF they were to accidentally meet, she'd growl and claw at him but i've not heard her bark - yet;) (she does the same to the 2 huge bunnies in the garden at the moment too - my tiny, dainty essie-mae has NO fear!!:lol:)

:lol: IF they were to accidentally meet, she'd growl and claw at him but i've not heard her bark - yet;) (she does the same to the 2 huge bunnies in the garden at the moment too - my tiny, dainty essie-mae has NO fear!!:lol:)

Hee hee - my delly buns has no fear either she's best friends with a golden retriever and a rottweilver (who is very sweet and soppy and rather boundy), she thinks have doggy friends is great fun especially when she does the disappearing act into her bedroom compartment and they can't find/see her and they get really worried (it's very sweet of the doggies side, and very funny on Delly's side. :lol::lol:

Hee hee - my delly buns has no fear either she's best friends with a golden retriever and a rottweilver (who is very sweet and soppy and rather boundy), she thinks have doggy friends is great fun especially when she does the disappearing act into her bedroom compartment and they can't find/see her and they get really worried (it's very sweet of the doggies side, and very funny on Delly's side. :lol::lol:

sweet:D

my big 'macho' buck is a totally different story..........:roll:

I think you can vaccinate Guinea Pigs against bordatella (Kennel Cough) but to my knowledge its not very common. It can be fatal to piggies so I see the benefit there but as lots of buns carry it without symptoms it almost seems unnecessary vaccinating a rabbit.

I'm pretty sure that Rabbits can't catch kennel cough from dogs, we've had dogs with kennel cough around the rabbits with no problem, considering it's highly infectious dog-dog.

Like Jane said, rabbits can get Bordetella bronchiseptica (the bacterium that causes "kennel cough" in dogs), but there are many other bacteria that can cause similar symptoms.

I certainly wouldn't have my rabbits vaccinated against it without alot more research backing.

Last edited:
I think it was just a standard letter for dogs but someone forgot to amend it. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything-and that I wasn't going mad.....

I have no knowledge on this at all I'm afraid but just had to say.. PoppyMoon, your signature is adorable!! :D

Back