• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elliot is poorly!

Went and checked on bunnies a few hours ago and Elliot didn't look his normal self and looked rather larger then normal sort of bloated looked in cage and as his cage was cleaned out this morning there has been no poos all day. Had a look at his backside and he has a little bit of dried runny poo stuck around his rear end. I have cleaned this area and tried to perk him up a little by giving him lots of fuss and attention to get him to snap out of his mood.

I'm just hoping the matted poo has stopped him pooing and now once he has calmed down a bit after a nice clean he will start pooing again?

I just gave him a nice big kiss goodnight just in case something happens during the night! :cry:

If he has not poo'd, is not eating and looks 'bloated' he needs to go to a Vet tonight. I dont wish to add to your worry, but if he has bloat he may not make it without immediate treatment :cry:

He don't look bloated now think it was the way he was sitting, he is having a little hay but nothing else not even his fav pop corn sticks and still no poo. Ill be up early tomorrow and see what the situation is with him then.

I know its the worst time of the week for seeing a vet on a sunday night but he sounds to me like he needs to see one tonight hun, it could possibly be stasis and it can get a grip very quickly and he might not be here in the morning without some painkillers and other treatment :( Buns hide their distress very well so by the time they show signs of being ill they are often already very poorly.

I'd empty his dishes and measure out say half a dozen nuggets or some crunchies or whatever he likes so you know exactly what he eats if he does so - watch him for a short while and if he refuses them then call the vets.

Sadly still no change over night bit more active but certainly no poos anywhere, got to get him to the vets this morning as something is not right.

Went this morning and they agree he is not right not weeing or pooing so gave him some vetegesic for pain and anti biotics. Got more meds for me to do at 5 but he still not moving much in cage but that might be painkiller making him sleepy. Just gave him some wet food via syringe and will keep eye on him and go from there. Good job im self employed!

Glad he's been seen, wonder what the antibiotics are for though? Did they give him any gut motility medicine to get things moving through? Hope he picks up shortly.

Yep they did that too but still nothing posotive yet

Poor Elliot :( is he drinking? if he's not he might be better off as an inpatient at the vets so they can give him IV fluids through his ear, or you could try slowly syringing him water in the meantime (i'm guessing that as they said he could have syringed food that the vets have ruled out a blockage)

did they have a goor look at his teeth while he was there?

hope the little man starts nomming soon x

He is a lot better, had him in doors for a bit while doing dinner and there was poo everywhere and he he is back to biting the wife when she try's to get him out then cage! Taught him well! :lol:

He is a lot better, had him in doors for a bit while doing dinner and there was poo everywhere and he he is back to biting the wife when she try's to get him out then cage! Taught him well! :lol:

Sounds like he is on the mend! Hope he continues to keep better. :wave:

Thats great news! We like poops! His teeth are obviously ok too :lol:

Yeah, it was funny miss us was trying to move him out the toilet to check how many poos he had done and thats when he bit here guess he was busting to go!

Stopped pooing again but guessing that's cos he not been eating too much. He is weeing fine and sees a bit like his normal self. Had 2nd trip to vets and got to go back Friday, hopefully he will start to settle back in is routine and start pooing again. Half the problem is giving him his meds puts him in a mood and then takes a while for him to calm down.

Back