• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about rabbit we want to adopt

One of our rabbits sadly died suddenly a few weeks ago and Floppy now seems very lonely. So we went to an RSPCA centre and found a lovely little lady to be his friend (hopefully).

A couple of little things concern me though. I was told that she needed her bottom cleaning every couple of days as she tends to sit in her urine/poo. She was in a concrete housing unit and didn't appear to be litter trained. Should I assume this won't be an issue once in our grass run and learning to use the litter tray?

Also when spayed last week the vet found a small bit (lentil sized) of yellow pus, loose in her abdomen. I spoke to the vet and she said it was probably pasteurella that had caused it but she said all the organs she could see appeared to be healthy. The vet didnt' think she would have any problems with it, but she was put on a weeks course of antibiotics to be sure and we have to wait till she is given the all clear before we can bring her home.

Reading up on pasteurella it frightens me rather. But I am very aware that internet pages can make things a lot more frightening than they are in reality.

Is it likely she will have an ongoing problem, possibly severe?

We really liked her, and I don't think we could turn our backs on her (because she would be unlikely to get a home if she has problems), but I want to be aware if this is likely to be a long term health problem.

If it is long term=

Well it really depends if you are prepared to maybye give medication long term and pay for things like medication and operations (if she needs any)

So really it is up to your choice of paying lot and the chance of illness being quite regular .

So it's all up to you :) Hope you make the best choice :wave:

Hi:wave:

its great that you want to adopt this lady -

The wee thing may need more looking at - has anyone suggested that she be treated with something called Panacur? This treats a parasite that affects some functions and can result in slight incontinence.

Or it may have been related to the fact that she was not neutered??

EWhichever I suggest that you use a Reargard treatment on her to ensure she does not get flystrike,

The pasturella - I have not heard of it causing pus loose in the abdomen - but generally speaking it is a bacteria which up to 50% of rabbits carry but usually only actually affects them symptomatically when they are run down or stressed.

Most get symptoms such as runny nose and eyes and sneezing and sometimes respiratory problems.

However once she is settled and happy with a new partner things should settle down for her.

i have two pasturella buns and they have very few problems and have not affected their partners:wave::wave::wave:

Thank you for the replies. :)

I hadn't heard of a parasite that may cause incontinence, no one had mentioned it. I see I can buy panacur myself from pet shops, is it ok to treat at home?

She wasn't neutered when we first met her, so perhaps the problem will be less now.

I guess we would need to see how she responds to litter training and whether the problem carries on once she is home with us. oh and yes, definately don't want fly strike!

Its reassuring that Pasturella isn't normally severe and doesn't affect partner bunnies. She didn't have any snuffles symptoms when we saw her, seemed very alert.

I guess my main reason of worrying about the pasturella is just how upsetting it would be for my kids if we get a new rabbit who then turns out to be very ill. My daughter hardly ate the day we found Squeak dead and didn't sleep well for a week.

Really want to get poor floppy a new friend. He is not himself at all. Eating much less, drinking less too. Doesn't bother coming to see us when we go out to feed him. :cry: It's been over two weeks now since Squeak died so that should mean it was nothing infectious.

I'm sure Snowdrop must be loney too in the rescue centre by herself.

Last edited:
Back