• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for advice...rescue V petshop buns?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

We have been thinking of bunnies for a while now, we would like a bonded pair idealy as they will be outdoor buns and so I wanted two for company...

Im guessing that petshop buns (thinking pets at home) arnt vaccinated? and I would need to get them nuetured, bond them etc...

Do you think its easier to go for an already bonded pair from a rescue or ones from a petshop? we are new to bunnies :)

Advice is much appreciated! I should also mention that despite being my bunnies we do have young children who would like to help where possible :)

Its definitely better to get from a rescue they are already bonded, neutered, vacinated and health checked for you and the rescue know the rabbits personalities.

Pet shop buns need vaccinations and neutered and there is no 100% guarantee that they will bond. Rescue buns can already be bonded for you, along with vaccinated and neutered, plus you are helping buns in need!

:wave:

We have been thinking of bunnies for a while now, we would like a bonded pair idealy as they will be outdoor buns and so I wanted two for company...

Im guessing that petshop buns (thinking pets at home) arnt vaccinated? and I would need to get them nuetured, bond them etc...

Do you think its easier to go for an already bonded pair from a rescue or ones from a petshop? we are new to bunnies :)

Advice is much appreciated! I should also mention that despite being my bunnies we do have young children who would like to help where possible :)

welcome to R.U.:wave:

i'm a firm believer in rehoming rescue buns, there are many others on the forum with more experience regarding bonding etc!

em x

If you go to a rescue that offers all of the above it is definately the best option. Ready bonded, neutered and vaccinated buns and proper advice and support for a first time owner, ensuring their rabbits are happy and cared for with the optimum conditions- no contest to be honest!

Hi there :)

That's lovely that you are thinking of having some bunnies. They really are great animals :)

You will find that overall, it is easier, and better for the bank balance to get a bonded pair from a rescue. You are right, pet shops usually don't vaccinate or neuter, and this will cost you around £100-£120 usually. When you consider that rescues do all this for you, and usually charge an adoption fee of just £50 or so, there's no comparison really.

The other thing a rescue can offer you is to bond the buns for you. Bonding can be quite complex, so this is a nice thing to not have to do yourself!

Have a look at the site related to this forum, which is called rabbit rehome. You can find rescues near you. Do contact the rescue before buying any rabbit hutches and runs, as they will be able to tell you the size of accommodation required :)

Best of luck. Hope to see pics of your buns when you get them :D

Well I got Liquorice from a farm in the Cotswolds and she is still alive but I got my guinea pig from there and when we got her she had mites and died so I think rabbits are good from there but not guinea pigs :( :wave:

It's definitely easier to get a rescue bun due to vaccs, neutering, bonding etc...will almost certainly work out cheaper too

BUT even more importantly is the nice fuzzy glow you get from doing a good turn by homing a needy animal :D

A rescue will want to "homecheck" you, i.e. make sure you can provide a suitable home for the rabbits. Some people find this alarming but it's nothing to worry about, they just want to check that their animals will be well lvoed :) Ideally phone them first, ask them what their requirements are in terms of hutch size etc, then work on achieving them (i made the mistake of buying a hutch, then contacting a rescue, and found out it was too small and had to buy another one!)

Last edited:
There are many advantages in going to a rescue - the first one being that you will get a correctly sexed pair of rabbits, rather than buying, say, two little girls, only to find out 3 months later you have a boy/girl pair and lots of babies arriving!

As other people have said a reputable rescue will neuter, vaccinate and bond a pair, beside them being health checked and their personalities known by the rescue, helping you match the right rabbits to your family.

I'm sure you're aware of the headline that there are around 33000 rabbits in rescue, and by rescuing you are not encouraging a breeder to keep replacing "stock"

Good luck in your search!

Back