• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breaking litter training

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Ive been worried about my Buzzby. He's a neutered boy who always has been perfect with litter training and uses his tray or the end of the patio for both wee's and poo's . 2 days ago he decided to poo and wee wherever in his hutch. The wee's and poos are normal, all his behaviour is completely normal and I cant think of any changes we've made that may have triggered it. Ive been putting poos in his tray and soaking up the wee in megazorb and putting it back in the tray and then disinfecting the hutch with pet safe cleaner. Ive tried putting hay in the tray to get him to nom and wee at the same time (he had just megazorb before) but that hasnt made any difference. Ive checked him over and been trying to think of anything that might have happened or any tiny change in his behaviour but he's his normal troublesome self, comes for cuddles as enthusiastically as normal and appetite etc. all totally normal.

Any tips on what I can do? Anything I should look for as a trigger? We're expecting to move to our new house at the end of september but I dont want to upset him if he isnt happy/stable and move to a new setup. I was expecting to get him a friend once he was moved as neutral territory would be ideal but again if theres possibly something wrong I dont want to risk it.

Neutralise the hutch with white cheap vinegar.

Then how about laying newspaper everywhere in the hutch.
Keep the tray where he mostly wees.
In the tray keep megazorb and on top newspaper.

Slowly move the tray where you want.

Or you could try filling the hutch with litter trays.

Take one out slowly and keep repeating until one's left.

How long has been neutered?

I have a big bottle of white vinegar, had forgotten about that thanks!

He was neutered about 5 years ago (he's 6 ish) although he was clean and litter trained for the first few weeks before he was neutered anyway. I assume his previous home had litter trained him as he seemed to know tray meant toilet place. the wee's are currently everywhere in the hutch, like wee and a pile of poos here, wee and pile of poos there, and then another lot in the other side, wherever he happened to want to be at the time. Outside he's still normal clean so I cant think its anything like he cant wait to go or that he cant feel himself going or anything like that. I might try covering the whole hutch til he decides, assuming whatever triggered it will settle.

I have a big bottle of white vinegar, had forgotten about that thanks!

He was neutered about 5 years ago (he's 6 ish) although he was clean and litter trained for the first few weeks before he was neutered anyway. I assume his previous home had litter trained him as he seemed to know tray meant toilet place. the wee's are currently everywhere in the hutch, like wee and a pile of poos here, wee and pile of poos there, and then another lot in the other side, wherever he happened to want to be at the time. Outside he's still normal clean so I cant think its anything like he cant wait to go or that he cant feel himself going or anything like that. I might try covering the whole hutch til he decides, assuming whatever triggered it will settle.

Good luck !

Back