• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do rescues charge....

willowholly

Mama Doe
An RSPCA site states they charge £20 for a single bun,£30 for a pair & amazingly it jumps to £100 a giant & £150 for a pair of giants.Is it me or is that a heck of a big jump?What do other rescues charge?

There was a thread recently asking rescues if they charged more for a giant bun, I cannot find it immediatly, from what I remember most charge the same.

Since they make a 'loss' in financial terms on every rabbit it makes sense that the fee is similar to what pet shops charge. They can't really charge more than that or it will put people off. Giant rabbits are very expensive in pet shops.

Giant rabbits are more expensive than average size rabbits in pet shops. The one near me sells giants for £80 so I think a rescue charging £100 is good because bun is already neutered/spayed and up to date with vaccs, so a lot cheaper.

Our Rescue (which is an RSPCA) is £25 per rabbit, regardless of breed, size, colour, etc. They have also removed the adoption fee for some very special bunnies, in certain situations; but not for the average adoption of your average rabbits (all rabbits adopted out are spayed/neutered and up to date with their vaccinations against VHD and Myxo).

Maybe they're just following P@H with their ridiculous price differences between normal size rabbits and giants

I can't imgagine the food difference would cost that much extra, although some vets charge more for neutering/spaying the heavier they are

Our Rescue (which is an RSPCA) is £25 per rabbit, regardless of breed, size, colour, etc. They have also removed the adoption fee for some very special bunnies, in certain situations; but not for the average adoption of your average rabbits (all rabbits adopted out are spayed/neutered and up to date with their vaccinations against VHD and Myxo).

That is the same near me, and with small pets (rats, hamsters) there is no set adoption fee, just a donation.

Maybe it's to discourage people from taking giants on a whim "because they look cool"

We have had several giants handed in, always with the excuse "oh she's grown too big for her hutch so I can't keep her"

People think they're a fun idea....but they're not always willing to make the long term comittment

The thing is most "normal"people & not rabbit mad people like us wont care if buns are vacs & neutured & will see an RSPCA bun is the same price as a petshop bun &,well which would you go for a spanking new bun or a second hand one(sorry to compare to cars!)I agree with P @ H charging £120 for a french lop as it does put idiots off,but didn't expect that kind of price from a rescue.I know they have paid out for neuters & vacs but do find them abit pricey.We paid out £25 10 years ago for two russian dwarves from the RSPCA.It would have been cheaper to have got them from a petshop.Thats why I was interested in what other rescues charged.:)

The thing is most "normal"people & not rabbit mad people like us wont care if buns are vacs & neutured & will see an RSPCA bun is the same price as a petshop bun &,well which would you go for a spanking new bun or a second hand one(sorry to compare to cars!)I agree with P @ H charging £120 for a french lop as it does put idiots off,but didn't expect that kind of price from a rescue.I know they have paid out for neuters & vacs but do find them abit pricey.We paid out £25 10 years ago for two russian dwarves from the RSPCA.It would have been cheaper to have got them from a petshop.Thats why I was interested in what other rescues charged.:)

I didn't think of it like that, then again they'd have to pass home checks so maybe it would be better to have them cheaper than P@H buns, some people can provide great homes but go for the first rabbit or cheapest they see

I can see both sides of this but it's difficult to prove what system "works" without any research

What we need is a large survey of people who adopt from rescues and people who buy from pet shops, examining their motives in doing so, what alternatives they considered, how they became aware of the place they got their rabbit from, what things put them off etc

I wonder if it could be done?

An RSPCA site states they charge £20 for a single bun,£30 for a pair & amazingly it jumps to £100 a giant & £150 for a pair of giants.Is it me or is that a heck of a big jump?What do other rescues charge?

We (Walsall RSPCA) ask for a suggested donation of £40 for a rabbit, regardless of size, breed etc. All the buns we rehome are neutered and fully vaccinated (myxi and VHD) before they leave us. Can't see how they can ask so much for a giant :?

Back