• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please - mucky bum

Dandelion22

Warren Scout
Any advice or tips would be really helpful -

I went to clean out my buns hutch (Which I last did last night and everything was normal) and i noticed a pile of squashed cecotrophs on his blanket and litter tray, which is unusual. By this point he was running around the garden and I could see his bum was mucky. He normally eats loads of hay and he's not had a mucky bum before. As he's white it looked quite drastic, (and smelt very bad too) but I managed to get it all clean again after a while using a damp cloth.

I'm keeping him inside for now so I can keep an eye on him, my first concern was flystrike as he's an outside bun. Are there any chances this could still happen even now hes clean and I couldnt see any eggs or anything?

He hasn't stopped eating - he's munching away on hay as I type.

Should I take him to the vets to be checked out in the morning?

Sorry I've no experience of this so as i said any comments will be helpful. I've not changed his diet, he has 1/2 handful of excel nuggets a day and all the hay he can eat.

thanks

when mine have been in situation like that i just reduce or cut out pellets and do hay only for few days it usually clears it up stress can cause it or too much grass with mine or too much pellets mine going through this as i am trying to get them on the same food so having few messy poops lying around but i just make sure i go clean them out few times a day until its resolved xx

Has he had a sudden introduction to grass recently? Or sweet foods like carrot or fruit or more treats than usual?

One of mine has this problem if he has too many pellets or carrot. If he's a good hay eater then maybe reduce the pellets a little.

Back