• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nipping during bonding

scoobylou

Young Bun
Hey, I have recently started to bond my male and female rabbit. The only problem is that the male keeps just randomly nipping the female. The female is happy to just run around and ignore the male but she's starting to get annoyed by the nipping and fighting back.

Does anyone have any advice about how to deal with it?

Are they both neutered?

My girls nip each other. Milly is more dominant so will nip Molly when there is food around or sometimes just because Molly is in her way. As long as the other rabbit submits to the dominance, and there is no blood shed, there's nothing to worry about. However as you say the female is fighting back, you'll have to keep a close eye to make sure they don't start fighting.

Yeah they have both been neutered. The male has had problems before with its brother as his brother used to hump him when they were younger so I had to separate them. So I think he's scared of being near another rabbit, Amber the girl doesn't really notice the male being around but is starting to get annoyed with being nipped during the bonding

I'm currently bonding my 3 and when i see that one is going in for the attack, i tend to stop it and hold the one nipping to the side for a few seconds. They are in a tiny pen right now - and it's easy to see their behaviour and put a stop to it before a full on fight takes place.

Back