• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixed messages

missniknak

Alpha Buck
So like quite a few others on here, I've been attempting bonding this weekend. I'm attempting a trio - a happily bonding brother and sister, and their brother. All are neutered.
I collected Orinoco Thursday night and set up his hutch and run right next to Adelaide and Tobys, so they could all see each other. They have had separate free range time in the garden, and have shown interest in one another, nuzzling through the bars. I put them all in the bath together yesterday and I had to pull Orinoco out after a few minutes. He'd got a bit excited and tried to hump Toby, who was having none of it. A little bit of fur pulling occurred but nothing serious. Everyone calmed down and I put Orinoco back in. He then grunted and tried to hump Adelaide, but I pushed him off and they all settled down into a three way huddle. I left them together like this for an hour (supervised), and left it on a high. I put Orinoco back in his run, and let the other two free range. They spent most of the evening right next to him, nuzzling through the bars.

Today I created a small penned area on the patio and put them all in. Orinoco and Adelaide went at it in minutes, pulling fur and grunting. I removed Orinoco and put them into a smaller indoor rabbit cage. They sat ignoring each other for ages, then all three groomed each other, we had munching and snoozing. They were calm and together like this for about 3 hours. Then Orinoco tried to hump Adelaide, so I pushed him off. Then Adelaide tried to hump Toby and a 3 way scuffle occured with Orinoco and Adelaide really going for it - fur pulling and kicking. I separated them and check both for injuries. Orinoco has a little nip on his ear, nothing too serious, and he had a mouthful of Adelaides fur. I've put Orinoco into Adelaide and Toby's hutch and run so he can get used to their smells, and leave his own.

I'm not giving up on them as they have given my indications that it could all work out. I guess the best way to proceed is as I am doing - separate hutches and runs side by side and play dates. I will try full-time bonding again next weekend over the bank holiday. Hopefully they will have got more used to each other by then.

I really adore Orinoco. I've been spending time cuddling him and stroking him with him being on his own and he is adorable. The OH has build the hutch extention - it's bigger than the original hutch! Orinoco is going to have it as a luxury one -bed en-suite apartment for the time-being, and we will hopefully link it to the original hutch once bonding is complete.

Toby and Adelaides bond seems to be just as strong as ever, but the dynamics always change with a trio. I think I need to take it slowly to maintain their bond as much as anything.

Any top tips gratefully received :)

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I will try and book Friday off work so I can use all of next week and the bank holiday. I'll set up an indoor pen as they are all outdoor bunnies.
Would I be ok leaving them side-by side until then - so they can see each other and smell each other?

I am not a great fan of putting rabbits side by side unless they are adequately supervised. Some rabbits suffer from referred aggression and can kick off resulting in one or more becoming injured as a result to this for me the risk of injury is too high and I would rather start from scratch with them.

ok - I'll move their runs apart.
They have been so lovely to one another through the bars though - nuzzling and grooming.
I shall look forward to a sleep-deprived bank holiday weekend!

I had a pair and a single bun until yesterday.

Mine had minimal contact before i checked them in together. :lol:

We made the mistake of putting them in side by side runs early on and the referred aggression was a nightmare - at one point, i was convinced it would lead to 3 single buns.

Just lately though we did put them in side by side runs - well - they had a gap of a few inches in between them.

The hardest times have been the evenings between 7 and 9 and mornings between 4-7. Mainly through the buck being humpy and excitable.

But yes, i am planning on a few more sleepless nights but i want to crack this.

Good luck to your 3!! :D

Yes that seems to be the main problem with my 3. All is well when Orinoco is being complacent and subserviant. It's when he gets excited and tries to hump the other two. Neither Adelaide nor Toby are humpers - though I occasionally see Adelaide humping Toby's head! When Orinoco tries to hump one of the other two, all three get into a scuffle which ends up with somebun de-furring Orinoco.
I thought doing the slowly, slowly dating would work best, but now I think given all the advice on RU, that I need to book some time off work, invest in some good coffee, and just try and let them get on with it!
In the meantime, I will continue being Orinoco's pal. He is so lovely that it will break my heart if this doesn't work.

Well, best of luck! I've taken the week off and hoping i can get it all done by nest weekend.

Back