• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not 'Perfect'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
But most of us are doing our very best for our Rabbits

Sometimes on here it can seem that nothing is ever good enough and whilst I totally agree the striving to better the lives of Pet Rabbits is what it is all about I also think that maybe we need to acknowledge that not everyone can achieve 'Perfection'

Just posting this as reading between the lines of some threads many people , (me included),seem to feel that they are failing if they cannot provide their Rabbits with a huge kennel and run or feed them fresh herbs on a daily basis.

I am sure that nearly all of us want to aspire to better things for our Rabbits, but surely doing our best has to count for something ?

Last edited:
:) couldnt have put it better myself. i constantly feel like i am doing wrong by my buns, not enough toys..... not the recommended food (even though bella wont touch anything else, believe me ive tried!!).... i guess i see what other people do for their buns and wish i had the means to do it for mine :oops:

I totally agree with you Jane. When i got Lucky, things were far from perfect but (thnkas to RU) i made some changes and improved his living conditions, diet and life in general. I also argued here til i was blue in the face that if you cant provide space then you shouldnt have rabbits etc. Now i've understood that you can give a rabbit all the 'correct requirements' but still not CARE properly. Sometimes, things have to give. Sometimes, you just cant provide EVERYTHING but providing food, shelter, vet care when needed and LOVE is the most important thing. Like humans, they dont NEED material stuff but they need care and attention most of all. If you can provide the other things then marvellous - but they are worthless without attention, interaction and a real caring nature. I get it now.

It would be nice to have everything 'perfect', but for the majority of us that isn't achievable. I'm happy to be doing my best - it may not be perfect, but my bunnies are happy :)

I do think sometimes people have a bit of a rigid idea of what rabbits "need", even though that is so dependant on the individual rabbit, and it can leave people feeling like they're not doing enough for their buns, or that they're being a bad owner.

Everyone on here wants to do the best for their rabbits and clearly care for them, or we wouldn't be a part of this community.
I think people should think about that and consider their words a bit more carefully when making criticisms.

At times I do get a bit sick of this forum and how judgemental people can come across, although I'm sure I'm guilty of that myself at times. :oops:

I think that goes for medical treatment as well as housing and diet. All of us on here try our very best for our poorly bunnies. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. We know our bunnies better than anyone else and shouldn;t be made to feel bad if we decide that enough is enough sometimes :?

ETA I don;t think there is any such thing as perfect there is always something we could do better for them. But knowing that there is more you can do and striving to continually achieve that is what is important :D

Last edited:
I think for me the best I can do is limiting the numbers. I've had 4 bunnies (2 pairs) here before and while they all had a reasonable amount of space now I have 2 I feel like I am a better bunny mummy as they have a large free range area to themselves and more attention. This is just me btw :)

I think that goes for medical treatment as well as housing and diet. All of us on here try our very best for our poorly bunnies. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. We know our bunnies better than anyone else and shouldn;t be made to feel bad if we decide that enough is enough sometimes :?

100% agree with this. sometimes as much as we feel that we need to keep going, trying all we can to get a positive out some (i feel more for ourselves, than the animal. *waits for onslaught* as we dont want to let them go) it is for their sake kinder to let them go x

I am sure that I too have been guilty of being judgmental and probably not wording a post in the most tactful manner. For that I am sorry.

It can be very demoralising to be constantly put down and I would never intentionally want to do that to anyone.

There is so much information available now to enable us all to keep improving. But constant nit picking and thinly veiled sarcastic comments just make people unhappy and demotivated.

At times I do get a bit sick of this forum and how judgemental people can come across, although I'm sure I'm guilty of that myself at times. :oops:

^^This. I have a large group who I adore and I do my best for them and I know they are happy. I feel sometimes that people make you feel like you're not doing your best e.g wrong kind of treats even though it might be the tiniest bit of toast or what not, an inch smaller on a hutch and you're a bad owner, unsupervised free range vs hours in a hutch.

I personally feel I do what's right for my bunnies and I'm sure all the buns on here are well cared for and treated right. All people have different set ups and ideas on how they look after their pets. There is no "perfect" way. It's what is best in your own personal household and circumstances.

Just my two pence worth :D

100% agree with this. sometimes as much as we feel that we need to keep going, trying all we can to get a positive out some (i feel more for ourselves, than the animal. *waits for onslaught* as we dont want to let them go) it is for their sake kinder to let them go x

I completely agree. And its awful when you have the stress and upset of making that decision that added to that is what people are going to think of you on here for making that decision :?

With regards housing it has taken us years and years to get to where we are today and there are still loads more I want to do when pennies and energy allow. I firmly believe the wanting to improve and making small steps is what counts :)

And ours never get more than the odd sprig of parsley when it comes to herbs and only get fenugreek crunchies if some kind person sends them to the bunnies, so I am a bad bunny mummy when it comes to treats :lol:

I agree...Why do you think I stay so quiet about my pets (and my own life) on here? It is the fear of being judged.
A very sad, but true point.

I am sure that I too have been guilty of being judgmental and probably not wording a post in the most tactful manner. For that I am sorry.

It can be very demoralising to be constantly put down and I would never intentionally want to do that to anyone.

There is so much information available now to enable us all to keep improving. But constant nit picking and thinly veiled sarcastic comments just make people unhappy and demotivated.

we're all judemental, its human nature. however, it doesnt take long to re read something before you post it, to make sure you aren't taking things too far. ive been guilty of it more than once :oops: but i think before i type now :)

I do think sometimes people have a bit of a rigid idea of what rabbits "need", even though that is so dependant on the individual rabbit, and it can leave people feeling like they're not doing enough for their buns, or that they're being a bad owner.

Totally - Beau is a single bun, and whenever I mention this I feel like everyone is judging me and thinks we didn't try hard enough to bond him. But we tried 3 times, twice of those done by a rescue, all three times he got ill. As an individual, he clearly just prefers being alone. But whenever there's a thread about whether all buns need a partner, there's a consensus that they do, and the implication that people who have single buns do so for selfish reasons. I would LOVE another bun, but Mr Stroppy Pants won't have it! (Beau, not OH!)

I completely agree. And its awful when you have the stress and upset of making that decision that added to that is what people are going to think of you on here for making that decision :?

With regards housing it has taken us years and years to get to where we are today and there are still loads more I want to do when pennies and energy allow. I firmly believe the wanting to improve and making small steps is what counts :)

And ours never get more than the odd sprig of parsley when it comes to herbs and only get fenugreek crunchies if some kind person sends them to the bunnies, so I am a bad bunny mummy when it comes to treats :lol:

treats are the only thing i think i have completely covered ;)

001-40.jpg

(i can send you some if you like :) i am....*ahem*... a hoarder it seems :lol: )

Totally - Beau is a single bun, and whenever I mention this I feel like everyone is judging me and thinks we didn't try hard enough to bond him. But we tried 3 times, twice of those done by a rescue, all three times he got ill. As an individual, he clearly just prefers being alone. But whenever there's a thread about whether all buns need a partner, there's a consensus that they do, and the implication that people who have single buns do so for selfish reasons. I would LOVE another bun, but Mr Stroppy Pants won't have it! (Beau, not OH!)

I guess it's similar to people who choose to stay single, there are always those who don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back