• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips/advice on how to weatherproof a run? UD- NOT tarpaulin, near disaster!!!

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Where we live can be very windy and wet in the winter. Laurel (who is getting a new friend tonight!) currently has a 5x2 hutch which has permanent access onto a 6x5 run which then has further access (when the door is open) onto another approx 5x6 run. I would like to weather proof the run attached to the hutch so they can still use it when the weather is bad. Any ideas?! Remembering it has to be able to withstand gale force wind:roll:

Last edited:
Tarpaulins? They have the rings you can use with bungee cords to keep it tight. Or some people use that corrugated plastic stuff.

Shower curtains stapled to the top and maybe one side. You dont want to do too much as they can get too hot very quickly if the sun really gets out.

A solid corrugated plastic lid or acrylic. You could also get acrylic you can slot in with swivel clips for the really bad days and remove it on good days.

Fly screening on the side of the runs decrease water penetration into the run.

my dad makes my runs for me and on one of my runs he used plastic corrugated sheeting on one half with a solid wood lid at the other end, if it is wet weather it is also covered with loads of tarpaulins, it has mesh wire sides along the two long sides and solid wood on the 2 short ends but i tuck the tarpaulins in around the sides if it is windy to which keeps them dry, b and q do the best tarpaulins i have ever come across, they are really thick, water proof, frost proof and so big(they come in 3 sizes) you can double them over into several layers, i also have a gazebo over my runs to give extra protection from wind/rain and also the sun in hot weatheralso in winter perhaps put some acrylic sheets around the sides of the run as we have for winter to keep out wind and rain but remove them in summer to allow air flow in the heat?

Thanks all, i might try a combo of the shower curtains and fly screening, affordable and should help. Thanks for the ideas :)

I use corregated plastic on the roof. This is brilliant for stopping rain getting in. To allow the rain to drain off the roof, put a 10-15cm block of wood straight down the middle of the roof to form a triangular roof.

Photo04901.jpg

For the plastic sides, I got a run cover made by this man:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-HU...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item2a12ea167c

3 years old, the plastic is still going strong (even though I cut it up to fit down the sides of my new, larger run).

Back