• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
BB was fine late last night, this morning he stayed in his hutch which is very unusual so got him out. He seemed reluctant to move and a bit unbalanced. He managed to eat just a bit of celery and a few strands of hay and went and sat on his 'ledge'. When he got off he almost fell over. I took him vets this mornng and she said it was either mxy or e cunnili. He's had a dose of panaucur, some metacam and some baytril. He's now indoors as he has gone very very floppy and lifeless. We've been trying to give him some recovery food and water via a syringe but he's not really accepting it. He is also not passsing any droppings or wee.

Posted on rabbit chat earlier but thought rabbit care was more apt.

So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I have no advice but just wanted to send you both big hugs and tons of vibes xxxx

I think you need a more experienced vet, the symptoms don't sound anything like myxi.

Those are quite general symptoms of being unwell, EC is one possibility and so is an ear infection (both cause balance issues), but just being dehydrated could make him generally floppy.

I would go back to the vets, he may well need some fluids if he hasn't been drinking or urinating. They also need to work out why he's not eating eg have they checked his teeth/stomach.

I would say go straight back to the vets giving what youve said since hes back. May need to be kept in for intensive care.

Hope he gets well soon.

Hello thanks for all the posts and bunny vibes . Tam the vet said mxy cause she said his genetil area was slightly swollen. I must admit i couldn t tell. We fed him recovery mixed with banana and water throughout the night as we had read about this so called floppy bunny syndrome. Its made no difference whatsoever . One teeny dropping was near him and thats been it . I basically ended up making him wee when examining his private area something i used to have to do when i hand reared !

Forgot to add, with mixing the food with mashed banana he did seem happy taking it. He was ok with water too not huge amounts but a few syringes of both and then he had enough .

quick update. still very floppy and has been taking recovery mixed with banana and some fluids. head being held up slightly today but he has had some diarreah overnight. Assuming this could be because of the banana as he does have runny poo's at times with certain foods.

Well my other half has just gone home in his lunch break to see to him and he says there is a little bit of hard runny poo next to him plus a few normal dropping that were under where he was laying.

Well my other half has just gone home in his lunch break to see to him and he says there is a little bit of hard runny poo next to him plus a few normal dropping that were under where he was laying.

the hard dropping sound promising get better soon little one its such an emotional time when they are ill all i can say from experience is time love and patience will help stay strong little bun x

Morning everyone :wave:
Well BB appears to be doing ok...he has been having daily dosages of panacur, metacam and baytril and we have been syringe feeding him every 2-3hrs with recovery mixed with banana at times as otherwise he's not been too keen! We're having droppings still though there isn't lots of them and they are very small hard and black so not great. When i got home yesterday from work he was holding his head up and didn't seem quite so floppy. Couple of hours later he was sitting completly upright eating some grass and even having a face wash. We're still syringe feeding him but he definitely seems a lot better at the moment, still a bit unsteady on his feet but managing to jump off my lap and hop around my bedroom when he's had enough of the syringe!
Also gave him a vitamin e capsule mixed with some natural yoghurt last night as I had read that this is meant to be good with either EC or floppy bunny syndrome.

Back