• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Space

Alicia

Mama Doe
I really don't feel that my rabbits have enough space in their hutch. I was looking for a pair of netherland dwarfs but ended up with some dwarf lops, and I really think its not big enough for my rabbits because they are quite big, and once the litter tray, and food bowls and everything are in there they don't have much space to move around. I wish I'd taken people's advice on here who suggested a shed and run attached, and my Mum even said that I could use the shed, but I asked again recently and she said no. Sorry, there's really no point to this thread, I'm just annoyed because I thought my hutch was really big and now Archie and Molly are in it I want to give them more :lol: They run around it and just go round and round in circles in their run :(

6 x 2 x 2 and the run is 6 x 4 x 2 which I know was the recommended size when I got them but I want to give them more space.
If I could I'd put a fence down the middle of my garden and give the rabbits one half and the guinea-pigs the other half :lol:

I just hate seeing the shed (which my Mum has given to me to keep the rabbit and guinea-pig food and hay in) sitting empty, when it would make brilliant rabbit housing :(

:( do you think maybe she thinks that now you have a hutch to use it? Maybe if you made her a cup of tea, sat down and said could I use the shed for the rabbits and move their hutch in there as a shelter area so it would still get used. That would give your bunnies an extra level too.

What do the buns have at the moment? It may not be a viable suggestion but you could get a second whatever it is you have and join them together?
Or you could extend their run to give them a bit of extra running space?

I'm never happy with what my buns have, I think it's something most people suffer with! I've got the maximum I can have now and it's so frustrating.

I've been thinking about it for months :lol: If the rabbits could move into the shed, their hutch wouldn't be unused, because 3 of my guinea-pigs which at the moment live in 2 hutches attached together which are very old and broken now anyway, could move into the hutch, and I could get rid of their old hutches, which would mean there would be more space in the garden and all the pets get bigger housing. I'm going to try asking again, but she says the rabbits would make the shed smell, but if she'd just let me move them into the shed for a week or two I could show her that if I cleaned their litter tray out enough it wouldn't smell.

What do the buns have at the moment? It may not be a viable suggestion but you could get a second whatever it is you have and join them together?
Or you could extend their run to give them a bit of extra running space?

I'm never happy with what my buns have, I think it's something most people suffer with! I've got the maximum I can have now and it's so frustrating.

My Mum doesn't want me to buy any more hutches or runs or anything because at the moment I have 4 hutches in the garden and they take up a lot of space, but Dad said he'd put a door in the run for when they can free range again in a few weeks.
My Mum doesn't know that when I'm in the shed getting all the animals food, I take Molly and Archie in with me and they run around, and they love it, there's so much space for them in there, and I could add shelves too. I'm going to try to talk to her again soon, but I don't know if it will work :(

Would showing your mum some pics of peoples shed and runs and how they can look really pretty help at all? Paving stones, hanging baskets, tubs of herbs etc etc? and then say you can get use your current hutches and it will all look much nicer....also say how you can still store all you need in the shed with a storage box etc...;)

My Mum doesn't want me to buy any more hutches or runs or anything because at the moment I have 4 hutches in the garden and they take up a lot of space, but Dad said he'd put a door in the run for when they can free range again in a few weeks.
My Mum doesn't know that when I'm in the shed getting all the animals food, I take Molly and Archie in with me and they run around, and they love it, there's so much space for them in there, and I could add shelves too. I'm going to try to talk to her again soon, but I don't know if it will work :(

im sure u can convince her :D:D i feel the same as u probably :) i feel my sister bun still needs more room is in a sorta chicken coop combo thing but atm its in the biggest thing we got i told her she should off made it a house bun :(

with the shed i was quite lucky the shed was a tip before i cleaned it all out it had hutches and all sorts of junk in it but it took a while to do but even now i dont think they have enought space but i need to get a run attached but carnt atm

The bunnies won't make the shed smell - they have litter trays, so that's where the worst smell would be,but daily cleaning avoids this. Lino in the floor is easy to clean and would stop any stray wee soaking into the wooden floor.

Hope you can convince her :)

How big is the shed you want to move them in to? There's are some great setups here for sheds so you could show her some of these pictures and maybe a video on youtube of a shed done up for rabbits too.
Try and explain how it would be good as then your guinea pigs can go in that hutch rather than buying them a new one and you can get rid of the two hutches they are in so there will be more room in your garden.
As long as you keep cleaning it then it won't smell. If I remember right Archie and Molly aren't litter trained so getting some lino in the hutch should be the first thing to do.

How big is the shed you want to move them in to? There's are some great setups here for sheds so you could show her some of these pictures and maybe a video on youtube of a shed done up for rabbits too.
Try and explain how it would be good as then your guinea pigs can go in that hutch rather than buying them a new one and you can get rid of the two hutches they are in so there will be more room in your garden.
As long as you keep cleaning it then it won't smell. If I remember right Archie and Molly aren't litter trained so getting some lino in the hutch should be the first thing to do.

It's 8ft x 6ft :) Archie and Molly are now almost litter trained, they use the litter tray most of the time but sometimes they don't. I don't know why Mum won't let me put them in the shed, because she said they can live in there for the winter but not for all year round. At least they can have lots of space for the winter :) I'd love to move the guinea-pigs into the rabbits hutch, its so much bigger for them, and the 2 hutches they have that are stuck together are really old and difficult to clean. Thank you for all the help :)

When you say sometimes they don't, is that wee or poop? If you put lino down it's really easy to clean any wee spills and to sweep up any poop. :)

Maybe you could suggest to your mom that they would be better in the shed over winter (better for you too when cleaning them out).
Then you could make an early start on adapting their shed accommodation. Once your mom gets used to the idea they could stay there permanently and not come out again next summer. The run could then be attached to the side of the shed for permanent access to outdoors :)

Mum's now changed her mind and won't let me move them into the shed during the winter, and definetly won't let them live in it all the time. Her reason was rubbish, she thinks they'll dig out of the shed. If rabbits could dig through wood, then why haven't they dug out of their hutch? So, for the next few years, my rabbits are stuck in their stupid box hutch, where they can barely move. :(

Mum's now changed her mind and won't let me move them into the shed during the winter, and definetly won't let them live in it all the time. Her reason was rubbish, she thinks they'll dig out of the shed. If rabbits could dig through wood, then why haven't they dug out of their hutch? So, for the next few years, my rabbits are stuck in their stupid box hutch, where they can barely move. :(

Honestly a 6ft hutch and run is perfect! My 2 are in one, i find its big enough. Obviously i would love to go bigger but im not allowed! Im sure they can move! chin up, maybe she will change her mind? :)

Honestly a 6ft hutch and run is perfect! My 2 are in one, i find its big enough. Obviously i would love to go bigger but im not allowed! Im sure they can move! chin up, maybe she will change her mind? :)

They can move, I just want to give them so much more space, and not being able to is so annoying :( I think its because they were bigger than the size of rabbit I was going to get, so it makes the hutch seem smaller. It will be better when they can free range more

They can move, I just want to give them so much more space, and not being able to is so annoying :( I think its because they were bigger than the size of rabbit I was going to get, so it makes the hutch seem smaller. It will be better when they can free range more

maybe you could extend their run if you feel their space is too small.

Have you showed her some of the pictures on here of different sheds and the bunnies who live in them and how nice they can look?

If I was in your situation I'd print out the pictures and just say to her, I understand you aren't convinced but can I just leave these with you to see what other people have done with their sheds. I promise I won't go on about it any more if you just have a quick look through. :)

Back