• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Was in my local Blue Cross today . .

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
and sadly saw that this very very lovely chap who was on reserve is now up for homing again.

He is such a friendly character - had a loving home I think as a house bun - but they moved abroad - and he has been in the rescue since April.

He is HUGE - about 4-5 kilos I would guess - but so friendly and lovely.

He had a home lined up with a girlie bun but the family dithered and dithered and then their girl died and they said no to Thumper so he has been left on the shelf again.

he has background Pasturella and occasionally gets the sneezes when he is stressed (though at present he doesnt need meds) - so the rescue is not a great place for him - also they keep him away from all the other buns so he never sees any other buns:( He is 5 now so the rescue think no-one will want him:cry:

He is very handsome but very difficult to photo -

IMG_4174.jpg

and sadly saw that this very very lovely chap who was on reserve is now up for homing again.

He is such a friendly character - had a loving home I think as a house bun - but they moved abroad - and he has been in the rescue since April.

He is HUGE - about 4-5 kilos I would guess - but so friendly and lovely.

He had a home lined up with a girlie bun but the family dithered and dithered and then their girl died and they said no to Thumper so he has been left on the shelf again.

he has background Pasturella and occasionally gets the sneezes when he is stressed (though at present he doesnt need meds) - so the rescue is not a great place for him - also they keep him away from all the other buns so he never sees any other buns:( He is 5 now so the rescue think no-one will want him:cry:

He is very handsome but very difficult to photo -

IMG_4174.jpg

I'm assuming the Blue Cross ONLY rehome to the local area?? Or is that not the case Twigs? :?

as they are a nationwide charty with branches all over the place I presume that they can use their network to homecheck nationwide:wave::wave:

he so much deserves a new home. I can check where they rehome to if anyone is interested - they were very keen for me to try and mention him on the forum when I asked if I could photo him

Surely exceptions could be made in certain cases ...................

You would think so if they think he will struggle to find a home otherwise.

He is gorgeous :love: (well the back of him is anyway :lol:) and I hope somebody on here has room for him. ;):D

You would think so if they think he will struggle to find a home otherwise.

He is gorgeous :love: (well the back of him is anyway :lol:) and I hope somebody on here has room for him. ;):D

That's not always the case though as old rabbits are not frequently the ones given up. The most common ages are either as young babies as the result of an accidental litter or between 6 months and a year when hormones and reality kicks in. Very often people are looking for older rabbits when they lose one and need an older partner for thir remaining bun.

Possibly the problem is that people don't associate the Blue Cross with having rabbits. I've definitely spoken to a fair few people suggesting they either try taking their bun in or rescuing a bun from there and they have been genuinely surprised that they have rabbits.

Possibly the problem is that people don't associate the Blue Cross with having rabbits. I've definitely spoken to a fair few people suggesting they either try taking their bun in or rescuing a bun from there and they have been genuinely surprised that they have rabbits.

thats very true - even the road sign to them says 'cats home'!

they have 4 pens for rabbits - and because Thumper is in one they will not put any rabbit in the next one as they are hyper cautious about any pasturella - and no rabbit with him - so theoretically he is taking up space that 4 rabbits needing rescue could have .. as well as him being sad and lonely

What are the impacts (things to look for etc.) of having a bunny with this type of medical history?

See http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

Pastuerella is a bacteria that many rabbits (poss as many as 50%) carry -

but a healthy happy bunny will show no signs usually.

If a rabbit who carries pasturella comes under stress they will typically start sneezing, have a nasal discharge and poss eye discharge.

It is infectious (as are all bacteria) but again most rabbits do not show any signs.

I have one rabbit here who has probably had it for years and years - and has a badly affected respiratory system from before I got her (I susect that she was originally very ill with it ) - since I have had her she has much much improved - but if stressed will sneeze and start snuffling. We occassionally give her a course of Baytril when she flares up (once a year maybe)

She lives with 3 others - including one with a poor immune system due to EC - but has never infected any of them (at least they are totally symptomless if she has).

I also have at least one other who I suspect has had it but I have never actually had the test done for it as they have become symptomless after coming from rescue.

I always think its a bit like glandular fever - you can carry it for ages and no symptoms except when stressed (though obviously glandular fever is not a rabbit disease and is a virus!!)

Good point - maybe that's why the rescue feel he will be overlooked, purely because people don't know where to look.

Ooooooooooooh!! Im excited for this bunneh now! *crosses fingers and toes*

And for you PL, what a gorgeous big boy :love::love::love:

We have discussed him here as soon as I saw the thread but atm I don't think it's feasible for us i'm afraid, very sadly. He does look gorgeous though and I hope someone rehomes him soon. The more publicity he gets the better :)

oh isnt he lovely...:love:..I do hope he gets a home soon...so not fair for hi to be by himself...really breaks your heart doesnt it....:cry:

Back