• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are buns tougher than i think?

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
having had buns who have done daft things and read all the threads from those with even dafter buns (up chimmney's, happy flopping off sofa's etc) are they more resiliant than i first thought?

some are some arent, for example with illnesses i suppose rosie was a fighter in her last year, but losing my beloved boy soo fast the other month :cry: it was just a shock

I think it does very much depend on the bunny.
Bobby fought through his jaw abscess and all of the treatment, and was quite happy through it all. He took it all in his stride.
Ruby had bone cancer and broke her leg because of it, and she gave up. The light went from her eyes and she lost her fight.
My bunnies do death defying leaps from the top of their hutches though and are always fine!

Blackberry was a tough little cookie - after his first dental we brought him home, had him on the settee for a bit of fuss, and he jumped straight over the back (not onto the back - over it!) :shock:

We thought we'de be heading straight back to the vets! But he was fine - came running round to try and do it again :roll:

The GA at his last dental was too much for him though :(

I would imagine that behaviour-wise i.e. jumping great heights etc it's not how far they fall/jump but how they land. Like anything living I guess. I know of an incident where a bloke fell off one of those wooden pallets (it was 4 inches high as in it was on the floor) and he broke his leg in 3 places :shock: and yet folk can fall off balconies and down mountains and walk away without a scratch. Mine seem to bounce rather well at the moment ... :lol:

after Buddy had been to the plum fairy i was leaving the vets worrying about trying to get him to eat when i got home etc.. put the carrier down on the grass verge while i found my car keys and saw him trying to grab grass through the bars of the carrier! :lol:

he sailed through it as though nothing had happened.. but he has always put his tummy 1st, 2nd and 3rd! :roll:

I would imagine that behaviour-wise i.e. jumping great heights etc it's not how far they fall/jump but how they land. Like anything living I guess. I know of an incident where a bloke fell off one of those wooden pallets (it was 4 inches high as in it was on the floor) and he broke his leg in 3 places :shock: and yet folk can fall off balconies and down mountains and walk away without a scratch. Mine seem to bounce rather well at the moment ... :lol:

my brothers cat was fast asleep on the inside of the windowsill about 3ft high, fell off, landed awkward and broke his neck. :(

we were all devastated, the vet says if the fall had been higher he would have maybe woken and landed better.

i think they are quite delicate. Yes, some survive anything, but others can suffer from the slightest things and are very sensitive to change. For example some bunnies never get GI stasis, whereas others tend to get it all the time. I think it all depends on the rabbit, but I think there are far more delicate rabbits than tough ones.

My bunny came through his castrate really quick, fast recovery from the ga and healed quickly in generally. However a few months before his castrate he had stasis and dealt with it really badly. I think different things just affect buns in different ways.

Back