• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Health problems in Rex Bunnies

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering if people can tell me any health/behaviour problems that are specifically shown in Rex Bunnies. My friend is writing an article on Rex animals and has asked me for a bit about Bunnies. Thank you :wave:

I know that hock problems are fairly common.

In my experience :

Ulcerative Pododermatitis (Sore Hocks)

Cardiomyopathy (Usually as a result of intensive line breeding)

Poor Eyesight -Orange Rexes

GI Tract problems

In my experience :

Ulcerative Pododermatitis (Sore Hocks)

Cardiomyopathy (Usually as a result of intensive line breeding)

Poor Eyesight -Orange Rexes

GI Tract problems

Great thanks. If you know of any good articles/evidence to back this up that would help too thanks.

You mentioned behaviour traits - they can literally throw themselves down at a full stretch to bask in the sun. I know this as mine do it regularly. It's not graceful at all :lol:

Both my vet and Alice at Windwhistle Warren mentioned they can be more high-strung and aggressive than other breeds. My vet in particular said that unneutered rexes are commonly aggressive both to humans and other rabbits.

Both my vet and Alice at Windwhistle Warren mentioned they can be more high-strung and aggressive than other breeds. My vet in particular said that unneutered rexes are commonly aggressive both to humans and other rabbits.

Now I did hear that this was the case before which really surprised me as both of mine are the most lovely bunnies you could ever want.

My rex bunnies are very relaxed bunnies. Molly will let you do anything to her (although a lifetime of being on meds and handled very regularly is probably the reason for that), and Milly is also comfortable in being handled too. They have never bitten me (although Molly can pretend-nip, only because she's a bit territorial of her hutch) and always hop over and chin-rub your hand when you go near the hutch/run. I haven't really had experience of other breeds, but I have found rexes to be very lively, active bunnies that love to eat, and also flop out and relax in the sun.

My Raymond can be a little territorial of his hutch, but thats it as far as aggression goes.
Rudolph is the most gentle rabbits ive had! :)

Back