• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pneumonia help please

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
After having an x-ray, it was confirmed that indeed Mallow does have Pneumonia unfortunately :( She has had steroid injections, as well as antibiotics which she is still getting to try and cope with this. She still seems to be sort of rocking and having trouble breathing normally which is really concerning me a lot. I don't know what to do in her best interests and was wondering if anyone has any information on how to help alleviate her symptoms while hopefully the antibiotics help her I would be really grateful.

Is she inside or outside. I found frankie was affected by the weather and worse when it damp or hot. I did use medicinal herbs thyme, plantain and chamomile and chamomile tea.

Might be worth pming jacksjane as she has experience of this.

Last edited:
Hiya. She's outside as the weather here is quite stable atm. I didn't want to bring her inside and put her through more stress as this makes her worse as it would mean separating her from the rest of the group and she is being looked after by Lucy a lot and snuggling with the others.
I find it really difficult to decide what to do as watching her struggle is very upsetting and it's hard to tell what's in HER best interests :?

I know how you feel it does take a while for the drugs to kick in. If you feel they aren't helping I would try some different ones. Frankies breathing never went to normal he had good days and bad days. Is she eating and happy in herself.

Happy in herself - I don't think she is :? She is still eating like a pig which is good but is constantly sort of hunched over and only hops as much as she has to rather than what she might like to.

Has she also been prescribed a diuretic to shift the fluid from her lungs ?

I had a Rex with chronic pneumonia and she was kept comfortable for 11 months after diagnosis on a treatment regime of Depocillin Injections, Frusemide injections (diuretic) and long acting corticosteroid injections.

She's had long lasting injections and I will ask about frusemide on Monday to see if that will help. Thanks :wave:

Eating is good Frankie stopped eating when he was struggling. I think the drugs haven't kicked in yet. I know how hard it is:(

If you could get her on a diuretic before Monday I think you would notice an almost immediate improvement in her respiratory effort. It is the fluid build up that is partly responsible for her very poor lung function.

The vet is closed now and doesn't open until Monday so will have to be first thing Monday morning now. Not sure if any of the injections he gave her were diuretics (if they come in injection form) but will find out.

We also use metacam for pneumonia to reduce inflammation in the lungs.

We found putting frusemide tablets in apple slices worked a treat, (thanks bunny buddy for that tip) :)

Sending vibes for mallow x

We found putting frusemide tablets in apple slices worked a treat, (thanks bunny buddy for that tip) :)

I dont think Metacam can used if corticosteroids are already being given

If you could get her on a diuretic before Monday I think you would notice an almost immediate improvement in her respiratory effort. It is the fluid build up that is partly responsible for her very poor lung function.

As you don't know what she's been given this may not be a good idea but you could always find her some tasty dandelion leaves as a temporary diuretic. An old bunny of mine, Wispa, suffered recurring bouts of pneumonia and was successfully treated each time with Zithromax (antibiotic). It's not licensed for use in bunnies but lots of bunny-savvy vets use it. She was kept comfortable on and off the antibiotics for at least a year until her lungs finally had enough :cry:.

As you don't know what she's been given this may not be a good idea but you could always find her some tasty dandelion leaves as a temporary diuretic. An old bunny of mine, Wispa, suffered recurring bouts of pneumonia and was successfully treated each time with Zithromax (antibiotic). It's not licensed for use in bunnies but lots of bunny-savvy vets use it. She was kept comfortable on and off the antibiotics for at least a year until her lungs finally had enough :cry:.

I wasnt suggesting giving a POM without consulting a Vet !!

I hope the drugs start to help soon. Sending lots of vibes for Mallow xx

Thank you for the vibes x

She was prescribed Metacam originally, but like Jane said we were advised against carrying it on as she's on steroid injections already.
Thanks a lot for the frusemide in apple tip - wouldn't have thought about that!

I hadn't thought of dandelion leaves actually! So thanks a lot I'll go on the hunt for some :)

Thank you for the vibes x

She was prescribed Metacam originally, but like Jane said we were advised against carrying it on as she's on steroid injections already.
Thanks a lot for the frusemide in apple tip - wouldn't have thought about that!

Obviously she can't have the two together. Perhaps I misunderstood the original post. I thought you were concerned that the current meds weren't helping her and were looking for alternatives.

I hope Mallow is feeling a bit better now :D

Back