• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding different sizes of rabbit?

lisadunn

New Kit
I have a lop eared rabbit, I dont know if shes a dwarf, to me she is medium size:roll:
shes getting neutered on Monday, and I plan longterm to bond her with a neutered male.
A girl on a free ad site is rehoming a 2yr old male neutered netherland dwarf rabbit.

Could I bond the two together eventually? or is it best that bonded pair are same size?

heres the female:
042-2.jpg

heres the male:
GetAttachment-2.jpg

and heres where they will eventually be living: 10x4 kennel/run:
KGrHqZlYE4lpE4tWjBOSDGftl30_3.jpg

What a fab home!!!

My 3 are all different sizes! Daisy is large, Lucky (male) is smaller and Lilly is the smallest and about a little less than 3/4 of the size of Daisy. I think temperapent and compatibility is more important than size - unless there is a huuuuge difference like a conti and a nethie or something.

I have a Frenchie lop paired with a dwarf lop and they are very much in love. Size difference doesn't matter at all for my bunnies, it is very much the personalities.

P1050090.jpg

P1040926.jpg

thanks i think it will work out ok
the personality of the netherland seems very compatible with my female,

just need to give her time to get over her neuter, and then will slowly introduce them thru bars!

bertie my frenchie had weeny bif as his missus......he had our lionhead merlin as his partner and now has bluebell frenchie..merlin got real sick and bluebell wont let him back:(

berties been fine with little buns being his partner.....;)

on a forum back in 2006 i recall a lady posting a piccie of her bonded pair..a frenchie...and a nethie:shock::shock:

My buns are 1.8kg and 0.9kg and get along fine. At first I was worried that Ruby would squash Pipkin but they've always been fine, she's very gentle with him :lol:

I have a 1.4kg Nethie x English and a 3.69 Californian :shock: They get on great and not squashed each other... Although Polar has nearly stood on Pipkin a few times, she's really gentle though.

polar090.jpg

I think personality is more important than size. Pipkin is feisty and able to stand up for himself even though he is small while Polar is big but a push over!

Pipkin and Polar sounds similar in character to my Adelle and Byron. Adelle, bless her, is a bit of a big gentle boofer and has once accidentally dunked Byron's head in water whilst he was drinking. He however, accepts this as part of loving her.

Pipkin and Polar sounds similar in character to my Adelle and Byron. Adelle, bless her, is a bit of a big gentle boofer and has once accidentally dunked Byron's head in water whilst he was drinking. He however, accepts this as part of loving her.

Aww :love: I think Polar forgets how big she is. She can be a little bit slow sometimes. Goes behind the curtain in the living room and cant figure out how to get out again! She'll often go racing up to Pipkin and look like she's about to barrel into him but always stops at the last minute. The only time she gets a bit rough is at pellet time, she has a huge head that takes up all the bowl and Pipkin has to force his way in :lol:

Yes, it should be fine. I have two Dwarf Lop sized girls with a little Nethie boy...
296266_10150756708570643_569000642_20094607_2578887_n.jpg

300465_10150756709880643_569000642_20094614_7128222_n.jpg

Sometimes they sit on him by accident, but he always manages to get out :lol:

Back