• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this pen suitable to use as bun proofing?

Depends on the height of your chair ;) I bought some for under my bed but it didn't work so I've used a couple on the lionheads gate at the door, :)

:wave: are you keeping stray bunny yourself now???? :)

Oh hello you! ;) :) Well my sister unfortunetely can't have him :( She is trying to sell her house and look for somewhere else so things are a bit hectic atm. She is also haveing some problems with her dog which are worrying her and she is going to have him neutered and can't afford bunny. Her garden atm isn't big so he'd only be in a small hutch, not neutered I don't think and outside without a wifey. Bun seems to be the perect housebunny but because of her dog and toddler that isn't possible. So we had a rather long discussion and I can't find anyone suitable to have him (he means a lot to me already :oops:) so my sister and parents said he can stay here and they will help financially, espically for vaccs and a neuter. So I'm thinking of getting a pen for my room which is a suitable size but also having the room bunnyproofed so whenever I'm in he can free range but I'd rather shut him in a pen whilst I'm out/at night so I know he's safe. He follows me round everywhere bless him :love: My family want to call him Boris, Boris the Belgian Hare. :roll: :lol: So next week Boris will be booked in for myxi vacc, two weeks later VHD and next month a neuter. I hopefully aim to get him a wifey bun but this won't be until I get a consistant job or even have my own house and the amount of pets I have has gone down.

Last edited:
Oh hello you! ;) :) Well my sister unfortunetely can't have him :( She is trying to sell her house and look for somewhere else so things are a bit hectic atm. She is also haveing some problems with her dog which are worrying her and she is going to have him neutered and can't afford bunny. Her garden atm isn't big so he'd only be in a small hutch, not neutered I don't think and outside without a wifey. Bun seems to be the perect housebunny but because of her dog and toddler that isn't possible. So we had a rather long discussion and I can't find anyone suitable to have him (he means a lot to me already :oops:) so my sister and parents said he can stay here and they will help financially, espically for vaccs and a neuter. So I'm thinking of getting a pen for my room which is a suitable size but also having the room bunnyproofed so whenever I'm in he can free range but I'd rather shut him in a pen whilst I'm out/at night so I know he's safe. He follows me round everywhere bless him :love: My family want to call him Boris, Boris the Belgian Hare. :roll: :lol:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee im so glad you are keeping him :D (i would have had him in a shot ;) :lol: ) bella has a base cage and run which she has while i am at work and then all evening and at weekends she is free range.... dont tell anyone but i havent bunny proofed at all :shock: all wires are behind furniture and stuff but apart from that both my buns are good as gold. few nibbles here and there and thats it :)

The height should be about right :) Why did it not work may I ask? :)

I didn't have enough pieces. Also it wasn't high enough and would've been a pain moving every time I needed something under the bed. In the end I got a load of those folding crates from B&Q and put those underneath, they are the perfect height for what I wanted.

oh my gosh that's great that you can keep him Liz!! :D Sorry can't look at the link because i'm on my phone but didn't want to read and run! So glad you get to keep him though. :love:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee im so glad you are keeping him :D (i would have had him in a shot ;) :lol: ) bella has a base cage and run which she has while i am at work and then all evening and at weekends she is free range.... dont tell anyone but i havent bunny proofed at all :shock: all wires are behind furniture and stuff but apart from that both my buns are good as gold. few nibbles here and there and thats it :)

:) Do you mind me asking if I could see pics of that and where you got the pen from/the name of it? Is Bella a belgian hare? I seem to remember she is, apologies if not!! I can't help but thinking he'll be able to move the pen because it'll just be on carpet?? So far Boris has been good as gold (apart from scattering poo's everywhere and the odd wee but that is expected) but I am used to having a huge destructo bun that was Beano when she was inside!! :lol:

ETA: Thankyou Shuette and Emma :) Of course I am glad to have the little man, I have shocked myself at how quickly he has stolen my heat! :oops: :love: But I didn't want anymore pets! :lol: My snails and Boris seem to have found me! Snails being left on my doorstep and Boris turning up at my sisters house! :lol:

Last edited:
:) Do you mind me asking if I could see pics of that and where you got the pen from/the name of it? Is Bella a belgian hare? I seem to remember she is, apologies if not!! I can't help but thinking he'll be able to move the pen because it'll just be on carpet?? So far Boris has been good as gold (apart from scattering poo's everywhere and the odd wee but that is expected) but I am used to having a huge destructo bun that was Beano when she was inside!! :lol:

:) yep, bella is a hare x (or podgy hare as i like to call her :lol: ) it's just a self made pen, i made it out of bits and pieces of an old rat/ ferret cage :) i can find a pic if you want :wave:

so she has her cage and then the run to extend it, it's not the greatest but it makes sure she is safe till i get home and then i can let her out :)

:) yep, bella is a hare x (or podgy hare as i like to call her :lol: ) it's just a self made pen, i made it out of bits and pieces of an old rat/ ferret cage :) i can find a pic if you want :wave:

so she has her cage and then the run to extend it, it's not the greatest but it makes sure she is safe till i get home and then i can let her out :)

Thankyou :) I have never seen a rabbit binky so much as Boris, he runs and binkies around and when he was in my sisters room used to jump through the gaps of the ladder up to her bunkbed and jumps over his cage onto the bed and used to jump up onto my knee then over my shoulder :lol: :lol:

You'd have to measure and see if the pen is the right size, you could always use NIC cubes too

HPIM1475.jpg

HPIM1536.jpg

HPIM1538.jpg

these are old pics (i dont you wood shavings anymore :oops: ) but the set up is still the same :wave:

it is far from perfect but my girl is happy :) you could never leave a bun like that 24/7 and i make sure the minute im home she is out :)

it is far from perfect but my girl is happy :) you could never leave a bun like that 24/7 and i make sure the minute im home she is out :)

Yeah :) ETA: Boris doesn't seem to know what to do with toys!! I have been trying to teach him but he seems happier just pottering about, he does like this woodroll I got from wilko's though, that's been keeping him busy :lol: :) x

bella will play with anything that makes a noise. she loves throwing cat ball about that have the bells in them :)

she also loves to destroy willow balls :roll:

Going to make him some toys to try tomorrow. Just avoided a near disaster there, Boris hops onto my chair fluffs his tail out and gives me the look I've learnt to be 'I'm going to poo and wee all over this now mummy.' I picked him up and moved him to his cage where I've shut him in for a few mins and yep he is doing a mountain of poops!! I'll let him out again once he's done, is this the way to go about litter training him?

Back