• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch/Outdoor bunnies in Winter

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hello

I've seen a few threads recently about people putting their indoor rabbits outdoors and worrying about the oncoming winter. I'd just like to say that hutch rabbits and outdoor bunnies can cope fine outdoors all year round, even in -20C temperatures as long as you take some precautions:

- Plenty of bedding, eg hay or straw. Use around a foot thickness in the bedroom part of their hutch or in an enclosed space in their shed/playhouse.

- Snugglesafes are a must over winter, especially at night, but also during the day when it doesn't get above freezing outside. Get one per bunny as they tend to like to sit on them.

- Cover the front of the hutch with duvet covers, bedsheets and tarpulin and layering traps in heat. I covered the front of my hutch with 4 layers last winter and even in -20C, the water bottles and bowls inside the hutch never froze. I used a bedsheet, 2 duvet covers and plastic sheeting.

- Rabbit's winter coats are designed to withstand cold temperatures so as long as they are put outdoors before it gets too cold, they will build up a lovely, thick winter coat.

- Rabbits will seek warmth from other rabbits, so where possible, keep them in pairs or groups.

I hope this helps put a few owners' minds at rest. :)

Fantastic advice as I'm just starting to plan and build up the winter proofing measures for my bunnies hutches.

What would you do to winter proof runs in winter so they still have a large area to play?

How do you winter proof hutches during the day so they can still see out and watch the world?

Fantastic advice as I'm just starting to plan and build up the winter proofing measures for my bunnies hutches.

What would you do to winter proof runs in winter so they still have a large area to play?

How do you winter proof hutches during the day so they can still see out and watch the world?

I have been wondering about this too. I have a large roll of bubble wrap, and was thinking of doing something with this on both hutch and run. I know they won't be able to see through it, but it will let the light in and provide some insulation due to the trapped air.

Any thoughts?

I know Sky-O uses beach mats, silver side downwards on her runs to keep the heat in, then in summer she turns them so the silver side is up to reflect the heat away.

I'm sure its your photos I have seen a plastic covering on your run LionheadLover, is that right? If so, where did you get it? I'd love a cover for my run so they can play without getting wet in winter.

Can I just add that a few layers of large bubble wrap stapled all over the hutch, with a piece to pull down over the front at night, all covered with either a good fitting hutch cover or a tarp stapled all the way around (apart from the front during the day!) also works well.

Personally I'd avoid bedding and duvets as they get wet, and can therefore hold mould spores which could be harmful if breathed in by the rabbits.

For my runs I use the 6ft corrugated plastic roof panels (cost about £6) around three sides and the top , as it helps cut down the wind chill significantly but still allows natural light, and prevents rain getting the hay in the run wet.
At night I cover the front of the runs with pieces of ply that slot into the gap for a snug weather tight fit.

Thank you for this thread :) I am worried about the winter, and there's space for Molly and Archie in the shed but not their hutch, and its not heated or anything so its not much different from being outside, do you think I should just leave them outside?

I'm sure its your photos I have seen a plastic covering on your run LionheadLover, is that right? If so, where did you get it? I'd love a cover for my run so they can play without getting wet in winter.

I got the run cover from ebay. It was £70 for a 5ft x 5ft cover. When I bought the new 7ftx5ft run, I just cut the plastic sides off and nailed them to the top of the run so they drap down the sides. One side of the run isn't covered with plastic but that's the side facing the house so rain doesn't get in. It also means there's a good airflow, even when all the flaps are down.

this is the guy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-HU...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item2a12ea167c

Last edited:
Can I just add that a few layers of large bubble wrap stapled all over the hutch, with a piece to pull down over the front at night, all covered with either a good fitting hutch cover or a tarp stapled all the way around (apart from the front during the day!) also works well.

Personally I'd avoid bedding and duvets as they get wet, and can therefore hold mould spores which could be harmful if breathed in by the rabbits.

For my runs I use the 6ft corrugated plastic roof panels (cost about £6) around three sides and the top , as it helps cut down the wind chill significantly but still allows natural light, and prevents rain getting the hay in the run wet.
At night I cover the front of the runs with pieces of ply that slot into the gap for a snug weather tight fit.

that's good advice. I would say though that only the last layer of duvets gets wet as I put plastic just inside the outer layer. So the inside layers are dry and hold in the heat. Yes, if material gets wet, it gets cold and will not trap heat, so the layers just in front of the hutch should always remain dry.

For my run, I also use corregated plastic and have found this works nearly 100% of the time, even in torritenial rain.

Thank you for this thread :) I am worried about the winter, and there's space for Molly and Archie in the shed but not their hutch, and its not heated or anything so its not much different from being outside, do you think I should just leave them outside?

depends what's easier for you and what suits the buns better. If they have more space outside, then I'd keep them outside. If they can have a whole shed to themselves, then I'd put them in the shed. :)

depends what's easier for you and what suits the buns better. If they have more space outside, then I'd keep them outside. If they can have a whole shed to themselves, then I'd put them in the shed. :)

The guinea-pigs would be in there too, but just the hutches, which I think the rabbits would just jump on top of so I might move them into the shed, then at least they'd have more shelter for rain and snow

The guinea-pigs would be in there too, but just the hutches, which I think the rabbits would just jump on top of so I might move them into the shed, then at least they'd have more shelter for rain and snow

Plus you would have room to put boxes filled with hay in the shed so that is more insulation if they were to snuggle in a box in the shed. You could put a snuggle safe in the box.

I got the run cover from ebay. It was £70 for a 5ft x 5ft cover. When I bought the new 7ftx5ft run, I just cut the plastic sides off and nailed them to the top of the run so they drap down the sides. One side of the run isn't covered with plastic but that's the side facing the house so rain doesn't get in. It also means there's a good airflow, even when all the flaps are down.

this is the guy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-HU...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item2a12ea167c

Thank you very much! :wave:

Do you have any pictures that you could share? I'm not very creative but if I see something I could try and replicate it.

Do you have any pictures that you could share? I'm not very creative but if I see something I could try and replicate it.

During the day it looks like this. I have stapled the silver backed insulation all around the hutch and across the back of the run and down part of the sides, and covered it all with a large tarp, again stapled in place apart from at the front...
DSC03152.jpg

Side view (sorry its tucked in amongst bushes!
DSC03153.jpg

At night all tucked up, although I put a 6ft run panel across the front to stop it blowing about

DSC03154.jpg

Last edited:
I just got a cover made from the same guy (ebay link) - very pleased! It was all done to my particular specs, and it cost £80 for pvc front, rain cover and thermal lining. :wave:

Back