• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help my elderly mums bunny

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
she saw the vet the other day as shed got so ill....i gave her zantac and fibreplex 2 doses of each...then had my mum tell me she was eating and pooping fine ( her rabbit...not her:shock::oops::lol:)

she is pooping huge round poos...but also leaving cecals everwhere...small ones but theres so many:(

i have taken her cage,litter tray,food n water bowls etc and put her up in my bedroom...which phoebes in but theyre quite far apart.

i tell my mum be careful what you feed her. she feeds her a teeny bit of dried cherry and strawberry. At night to get her into her cage..she gets a small treat..usually wagg carrot sticks. her pellets are allen and page....and i told mymum just hay for 24hrs-48hrs
but she fed her...so now ive got her to try and sort out her tummy....

im so puzzled tho...there are NO teeny gi stasis bunny poops....huge poops and im concerned as she only saw the vet monday..i think. im going to leave her and this evening give her some metacam and the rest...right now me and my bkackouts are going to take a nap!
;):D

Apologies, my brain is not functioning properly today, am having to read things several times before anything sinks in.

So she's eating and pooping but also leaving cecals? If she's eating I doubt she's in stasis, sounds like she's just had too much rich food recently. I'd feed her her pellets and hay for a few days. Make sure your mum isn't over doing the pellets ;)

Sorry, don't know what to suggest - except plenty of hay, make sure not too many pellets, and cut out the treats.

nope at the beginning she wasnt eating or pooping or moving:(

vet said the prodcution of exces cecals could be dietary,stress,start of stasis.

personally i think its dietary...PLUS my mum is an avid soap fan and the shouting which goes on in eastenders is apparently a lot!
ive told her when she stayed with us in the lounge summer of 2009 nikki was watching die hard etc movies on tv and she was fine...she was here for 3 weeks....but flick through and find people shouting or getting angry..like our old bif..she too goes nuts.

my mum has a terrible habit of repeating herself many many times and will use the cross voices used in the original conversation and retold many times down the phone to many people. Ive told her that cats and rabbits dont understand youre on the phone or why...they take it as that youre talking to them:(

you shouldnt have got me a rabbit then should you (mums had her almsot 3 years) and last time i yelled no i shouldnt she can come live with me....
then she panicked.

also dont feed too much pellets or treats..but i dont...she knows what time i give her her treat though..what am i going to do.....me....:shock::shock::roll: head bang against wall!!!

shes on allen and page pellets with a pinch of oxbow t hay pellets....
but mum doesnt fill her bowl to the top but it is about 1 to 2cm deep at best:shock: also she puts wayyyyy too much hay in her litter tray and not enough hay outside of it..and not enough litter as hunnybunny digs her tray out everyday. mum cleans her out too much..tidies her cage too often..poor bunny doesnt see it as a safe place anymore. What is it with little old ladies!:shock:

Back