• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT regarding Blanche. GI Statis? She's gone. RIP Blanche.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I know I've not posted on here for a long time but I didn't know who else to turn to for help. Please don't flame me for this as it was a genuine mistake.

Yesterday morning I was running late for work, I asked my dad to feed the rabbits as I ran out of the house. Turns out he didn't hear me and they didn't get fed until 4pm, meaning that their last tea time is at 6/7pm on Thursday and they didn't get pellets until 4pm Friday when my dad thought they "looked a bit hungry" and gave them some food.

They always have hay but Blanche isn't the biggest of hay eaters. This morning I've noticed tiny tiny tiny poos in the cage (similar to the size of millions sweets) and Blanche just isn't herself. Not charging about demanding food and attention, not digging into their treat hay that she does tend to love, not eating readigrass. I've tempted her with a fenugreek crunchine and banana and the best she had was a nibble. She's just lay down not doing anything.

I've phoned up the vets and made an appointment for 10.50 as I'm very worried that she has potentially gone into statis. I feel absolutely awful about the situation and my dad feels so guilty right now. It was a honest mistake so please don't shout at me because I'm my own biggest judge right now.

What should I expect the vet to do/check and what medication should I expect to be coming away with? Thank god I've never had any experiences like this before regarding statis so don't know what to be asking.

Last edited:
Hun, dont beat yourself up about it, and nor should your dad. It was a mistake and these things happen, noone would blame either of you for it.

It does sound like she may be heading into stasis, or maybe have a little trapped wind. Although the tiny poos would indeed suggest stasis.

I would expect your vet to have a good feel of her stomach and listen for any sounds. I would also expect her temperature to be taken.

If she is in stasis he will give her an injection of the gut stimulant Metacloperamide, pain killers and sub cutaneous fluids if necessary. I would expect you to come home with some Metacloperamide and Metacam.

Loads of luck for little Blanche :wave:

ETA. Your vet may also suggest that you syringe feed her so may also give you fibreplex or critical care.
Any my vet also gives me probiotics to take home :wave:

As she isn't a good hay eater I'd definitely want her teeth checked as well as the things already suggested. It could be coincidental timing that teeth are playing up and absolutely nothing to do with the late feed.

From my local vets I'd expect her to be given Metacam, Metaclopromide and probably a stronger painkiller also if she's in a lot of discomfort - it has various names but is morphine based. My local vets wouldn't give anything to come home with but if she needed anything more would prefer to do a follow up appointment. My rabbit savvy vets would probably admit her for tests/observations/syringe feeding etc.

Hope she goes on okay. Whatever it is was probably 'brewing' anyway and may well have nothing to do with her being fed late.

Don't blame yourself, it was an accident and could just be a coincidence. I agree with the above posts about what you should expect. I hope the drugs kick in quickly. Sending lots of vibes for Blanche xx

I took Blanche to the vets yesterday who gave her a shot of baytril and also a steroid injection (as apparently they didn't have any Metaclopromide in stock and it is a similar thing?), they also told me to give her Ribena (advice ignored) and syringe her fluids. I asked about metacam but apparently they can't give both steroids and metcam together?

Long story short, there's been no improvement. Still not eating properly, passing nothing but a few tiny tiny poos, not moving, she's just flopped out next to me on the sofa and hasn't really moved for around 3 hours apart from occasionally to sit up and then turn around to flop out again. Definitely a world away from her usual self. This morning when I went to get her I'm sure she hadn't moved from the spot she was in last night, there were around 10 tiny poos and she was sat in a puddle of wee :cry:

The vets have asked to see her again today at two but in all honestly I'm doubting their credentials a little bit. Should I be demanding anything?

When should I expect to see an improvement in her? What can I be doing to help her out? She looks so helpless at the moment and poorly I just don't know what to do, I'm really worrying now.

Hi, so sorry your bun is poorly. To be honest I don't know about steroids for stasis. I've never come across that myself, but that's not to say it's not right. I'm surprised about the baytril, though, as that's an antibiotic :?

If your vet can give her some sub-cutaneous fluids, that is sometimes very helpful as it helps to rehydrate quicker than syringed fluids. Are you syringing her water? It's vital to keep her hydrated, as dry fecal matter will be even harder for her to pass.

Did your vet talk about possible blockage, or rule that out? If there is no blockage, you could be feeding critical care or recovery food through a syringe so at least she is getting something through her. However it is important to know that there is no blockage, as feeding a blocked bun isn't good.

I have found that injected metoclopramide has been the life saver for my buns, as this gets the gut moving again, along with metacam to relieve pain. As I said above, I really don't know if the steroids do the same thing or not.

Eta: my buns have varied in how quickly I have seen an improvement. Sometimes they start eating as soon as we return from the vet. Sometimes it takes a few hours of syringing water/meds as prescribed. Once Bunny had a really bad episode which lasted a whole weekend.

I always give my buns a tummy massage during stasis. Not only does it help me to keep an eye on how hard their tummy feels, but it can help any gas to move through which might help them. I have often found that they seem to find it quite soothing as well. Good luck with her. Keep us updated x

Last edited:
Unfortunately it doesnt sound like the vet you saw yesterday is very bunny savvy. Giving steroids and advising to syringe ribena are 2 things I definatly wouldnt have expected. Using Baytril on a bunny with tum issues is very risky aswell, unless theres an obvious sign of infection?

Is there perhaps a better vet you could take her to see today? Maybe start a thread asking about bun savvy vets in your area.

Metacloperamide is a must if she is in stasis, it also needs to be determined if she has a blockage developing. In either case Metacam (or possibly vetergesic) and sub cutaneous fluids are absolutely ESSENTIAL at this stage, so if you see the vet you saw yesterday these are the things to insist on.

Loads of vibes for little Blanche :wave:

Are there any other Vets you could get to, ones with a bit more knowledge about Rabbits.

I think trying to do that as of now would be a good idea.

With regards to medication she cant have Metacam now that she has had a corticosteroid. Metoclopromide is only appropriate if there is no chance that she has a full obstruction. Hence the importance of finding a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

I would try to administer some oral fluids into Blanche.Just cooled boiled water will be fine, but if you have some diarolyte or something similar that would be great to get some electrolytes into her.

Can you post a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for URGENT contact details of a Rabbit Savvy Vet in your area.

For now just try to keep Blanche warm and hydrated.

Sending loads of vibes for her xx

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone. I did question the baytril but they reassured me that it was what they always did and I asked about meta am but due to the steroids they told me that they couldn't give both.

I am going back to my local vets in 20mins and see what they say, as the rabbit savy vet is also the emergency hours vet, so if she needs to be admitted which in my heart of hearts I think she needs, she will be sent over there x

Thankyou everyone. I did question the baytril but they reassured me that it was what they always did and I asked about meta am but due to the steroids they told me that they couldn't give both.

I am going back to my local vets in 20mins and see what they say, as the rabbit savy vet is also the emergency hours vet, so if she needs to be admitted which in my heart of hearts I think she needs, she will be sent over there x

My Cupcake had the very same symptoms last week, and honestly she only started to improve after she had metacam and metaclopramide, so it's rubbish that Blanche can't have pain relief now :( Cupcake did also have baytril though.. I wonder why they give it:?

Well good (and bad) news. She sadly needs to be admitted but she is now going to the bunny savy vets so she is in brilliant hands.

She initially only went to the local vets because it is local and I can't drive, so a non savy vet as soon as possible as opposed to no vets seemed the best option.

Well good (and bad) news. She sadly needs to be admitted but she is now going to the bunny savy vets so she is in brilliant hands.

She initially only went to the local vets because it is local and I can't drive, so a non savy vet as soon as possible as opposed to no vets seemed the best option.

sending vibes hun, Blanche is a special girlie x

Oh no :cry: not gorgeous Blanche :cry:

I'm so sorry hun, Dreamer will look after her, binky free beautiful Blanche xxx

Back