• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Referred aggression

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I have been very careful about avoiding this with Boris (indoor bunny we found, my family want to call him Boris the Belgian Hare :roll:) and Beano and Gordon (bonded outdoor pair). But I just though I don't really know what it is :oops: I know it is buns fighting because of another rabbit presence but any more information, is it usually by sight/smell? Do things actually have to have had contact with the rabbit or can it be from things that are in the same room as the rabbit, would these still have their smell on etc? How do people with multiple rabbit groups go about preventing this? Thankyou :)

I've got two groups of bunnies that live close by each other and the only problem I've had with aggression is with my soppiest bunny. The only time that she has bitten me is when I smelt strongly of my other group. Normally she (Adelle) is very very soppy and is a big cuddler, but if I clean out my rabbits in the wrong order (i.e. not her and her husbunny first) then I risk accidentally triggering her protection instinct and she will bite me. (She's only done this twice as once was when I found out, the second time was when I forgot).:roll:

Sight, smell and sometimes hearing. Nutmeg sometimes get ratty with Smudge if she can hear the lops out on the hallway.

I shouldn't think you'll have an issue with one set outside and one inside. Just make sure you wash hands between as sometimes rabbits sniff and bite before realising it's actually your hand.

My 2 bonded pairs live very near to eachother, and alot of the time just have some pen panels seperating them. I only do this when Im at home, and drape towels over the pen so they cant see the other couple, as Max has been known to get humpy with poor Charlotte if he can see Timmy on the other side :roll:

But I dont wash my hands or changemy clothes between couples atall. They have settled down alot from how it was at first, so I think they get used to it :wave:

Thankyou. :) I have been changing clothes between but I am running out of clothes to keep changing into :oops: :lol: I know Boris has smelt Beano and Gordon on me and he didn't react any way different.

No, I wouldn't change, a little scent is okay, you just don't want your hands to smell like a strange rabbit if you are about to put them under another rabbis nose.

Back